VMware Cloud Community
dbis7575
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vRA8 onboarding deployment name update

I need to onboard several hundred workloads into a  vRA8 environment. I want to run an ABX action to update the deployment name (name after VM name) and the description.

I have created a Dummy action that triggers on the "Deployment onboarded" event to see what values I get back, but I dont even see the deployment name in there.

Any help on how to best accomplish this is appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dbis7575
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It turns out that there is a targetId that is the same as the new deploymentID, this can be used to make an API call to perform further actions which resolves this issue for me.

If anyone is interested, I am using the Event Topic "Deployment onboarded" to with a subsription to trigger an ABX action.

Within the ABX action you can get the deploymentID with the following variable:

inputs["__metadata"]["targetId"]

View solution in original post

5 Replies
stevedrummond
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I haven't looked at the extensibility yet for Onboarding, but couldn't you just run a script after the fact that renames based on the VM contained in the deployment?

Obviously not as nice since you'll need to remember to run it, or have something execute it after the onboarding, but its better than fighting an event topic that doesn't do what you want/need.

0 Kudos
dbis7575
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The only way I can think of running a script like that, would be to call it through it's own API and iterate through the deployments and update them. Certainly possible, but I was hoping there is a better way to accomplish this.

0 Kudos
dbis7575
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

To clarify, the only event topic I see that gets triggered is the "Deployment Onboarded" event topic that runs once it is completed.

Looking through the variables available, I dont see a deploymentID or a resourcename I can use to take this action. This means that currently my action would know something got onboarded and I would have to make an API call back to itself to iterate through the deployments see which one didn't meet the naming standard and then update it.

I am looking for any means of getting the deploymentID and/or resourcename without having to iterate through every deployment.

0 Kudos
stevedrummond
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I still haven't tried subscribing to the onboarding event, but the event topic schema is empty. Does it actually pass anything through?

onboarding is still very alpha (in my opinion) so you likely don't have another choice at the moment. You can try submitting a feature request to VMware.

0 Kudos
dbis7575
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It turns out that there is a targetId that is the same as the new deploymentID, this can be used to make an API call to perform further actions which resolves this issue for me.

If anyone is interested, I am using the Event Topic "Deployment onboarded" to with a subsription to trigger an ABX action.

Within the ABX action you can get the deploymentID with the following variable:

inputs["__metadata"]["targetId"]