VMware Cloud Community
thorsencd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to use PowerCli with VCSA 6.7 on ESXi 6.7 host

Hi Guys,

Newbie here. I've been trying to find documentation on how/where to install PowerCli for use with a non-Windows host. Our VCSA 6.7 Standard is on an ESXi 6.7 host. Can I install PowerCli on a Windows client and send commands through an API? Sick to death of manually creating hundreds of VMs...

Thanks!

Chrys

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
T180985
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes you can install PowerCLI on windows and connect into your vCenter, check the link below

Install PowerCLI

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
T180985
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes you can install PowerCLI on windows and connect into your vCenter, check the link below

Install PowerCLI

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums
0 Kudos
thorsencd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Rockin'! Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Moved to PowerCLI

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Sorry, but those instructions are rather old (I know the document says 2019, but that is definitely not for this part).

Take any Windows station (workstation or server) and make sure PowerShell is installed.

Preferably PS v5.1 or higher.

Open a PS session and then install PowerCLI from the PSGallery with

Install-Module -Name VMware.PowerCLI

See Welcome PowerCLI to the PowerShell Gallery – Install Process Updates for more details.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference