VMware Cloud Community
markusoesterle
Contributor
Contributor

Generate Alarm if Advanced Setting on a host does not have the desired value

Is there a possibility to raise an alarm if one of the Advanced Settings on a host does not have the desired value. Concrete example the advanced setting "VMFS3.UseATSForHBOnVMFS5" should be 0 on all hosts, because our storage vendor demands it from us.

I know how to check the value with PowerCLI (Get-AdvancedSetting -Name VMFS3.UseATSForHBOnVMFS5) but I want to use as few scripts as possible, because all scripts have to be maintained by someone and alerts in vCenter are always visible to every admin, mails a script sends can be ignored.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I'm pretty sure you can't, you need an event to be triggered for an alarm to work, and I haven't seen a advanced setting is not set event. Look at

https://www.virten.net/2015/11/how-to-create-custom-vcenter-alarms/

its a bit older but the same applies.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you use a host profile to set that configuration? If so, that UI will tell you if a host is out of compliance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos