VMware Communities
Tonatiuh2011101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Autofit Guest option does not work with Oracle Linux guest

Host: Windows Server 2016

Guest: Oracle Linux 6

VMware Workstation: 15.5.1

This machine previously was installed with Red Hat 6 and "Autofit Guest" option worked perfectly.

I reinstalled the Guest with Oracle Linux 6 and "Autofit Guest" does not work anymore.

In old versions of these OSs, I discovered that Red Hat installed by default certain RPMs for the kernel that Oracle Linux did not, and the missing Oracle Linux rpm prevented the VM Ware tools to be installed, and I needed to manually install that rpm for Oracle Linux to be able to install VMWare tools. I suspect that there is a similar situation which is impacting the "Autofit Guest" option in Oracle Linux guest. But I'm only thinking out loud.

Any idea?

Regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Tonatiuh2011101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have executed "/usr/bin/vmware-user" as described at the end of VMware tools installation and it enables menu option "VM\Fit Guest Now", but it really do a Fit Window, not a Fit Guest.

0 Kudos
mikem999
Contributor
Contributor

This is a bit old now but if someone like me is hunting for a possible solution I had the same problem after in place upgrade Fedora32 to 33.

I found that there was no tools.conf in /etc/vmware-tools, just tools.conf.example. I copied the example to tools.conf and had a hunt around inside looking to increase the logging. I found this:

[resolutionKMS]

# Default is true if tools finds an xf86-video-vmware driver with
# version >= 13.2.0. If you don't have X installed, set this to true manually.
# This only affects tools for Linux.
#enable=true

Uncommented the enable= true line then restarted vmtoolsd (sudo systemctl restart vmtoolsd) and the autofit immediately resized the screen to fit the window.

Berniena
Contributor
Contributor

This works really well for us, thank you!

myfordbenefits

Tags (1)
0 Kudos