VMware Horizon Community
none95
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Slow boot after Horizon Agent

Hi,

I have Windows Server 2012 guest image that can boot in less than 10 seconds.

With my previous VDI tool (Parallels RAS) new desktops take 10 seconds to provision and they boot in 10 seconds as well. RAS clones the machine, powers it on, and I can see it booted after 10 seconds. VMware Tools info on vSphere Web Client shows in seconds as well. RAS uses linked clones.

If I use the same exact machine with VMware View, the machine takes 5 minutes to be deployed (Linked Clones), and then takes 1 minute to boot.

I can see the machine being powered on by VMware View, but than it takes 5 minutes for VMware Tools IP address to show on vSphere. After customization, the same happens but it takes 1 minute instead.

Everything is the same as the machine that boots in 10 seconds, only VMware View guest agent is now in use instead of RAS. I build my images with MDT, so I assure that no RAS Agent is deployed. Just the VMware Agent.

Any ideia what can be the problem?

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Follow this,

Creating an Optimized Windows Image for a VMware Horizon Virtual Desktop | VMware

also if you can use instant clones, the linked clone process can take some time, and in recent versions there isn't much instant clones can't do and should be available with all licenses now I believe.

0 Kudos
none95
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I followed that.

Can't use Instant Clones. Horizon Standard + Persistent desktop.s

I think this is related to View Composer Agent. It seems to be the one hanging the boot for those minutes.

But am unable to fix it.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Did you do everything with the exception of picking the instant clone agent. The are multiple optimizations that are available. If you do that and you still have problems, I suggest opening a case with support and have them go over the logs. The log locations are here

Horizon 7 Log Files

and there is a specific composer log.

0 Kudos
none95
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

RAS guests boot in 10 seconds, so I'm sure my image and hardware is fast. Not sure if you are familiar with Parallels RAS, but it is like VMware View.

It creates linked clones from a master image, boots them and does a "quickprep", and reboots again and the guest is ready.

Same hardware, same vSphere, same image, boots in 10 seconds. Customizes in 10 seconds.

The view composer log just shows a "gap" between two entries.

I can see log entries at time = t; and then time = t + 5 minutes (for customization).

And then time = t and then time = t + 1 minute for regular boot.

But there is nothing between the two log entries.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

That guide is the made by VMware and I've used it may times, which is why I suggest following it exactly. a 5 minute boot time there is a problem. The other place to look at is the composer server its self and the connection server logs. These are different products with different requirements.

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Could it be the issue with Windows 10 booting on a datastore formatted in VMFS 6?

Reference thread:  windows 10 1809 slow

0 Kudos
antojpratheep
Contributor
Contributor

This is looking like Group Policy issues. How many policies you are applying. If possible share logon monitor and UEM debug logs. It will be easy to analyse.

Also share gpresult -H file also.

So we can identify the issue exactly.

0 Kudos