3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2020 10:48 PM by julatoski

ThinApp incompatibility with Windows 10 (1909)

BREAKANOISE Lurker

All versions of ThinApp does not work for Windows 10. The output file works only on Windows 7. I even tried to make portable with standalone EXE application and it wasn't able to run by returning error and user should kill the process from task manager.

I checked two computers. I tried ThinApp 5.2.3 and TinApp 5.2.6 - they all give me the same result. No matter where the portable is made (on Windows 10 or Windows 7) - both outputs have the same issue and same result (work for Win7, not work for Win10). How could this be possible?! You can check PhotoFiltre. Just get the main application and it will give you the same as whole program did. Home Page Download

HINT: PhotoFiltre have different interface skin for Win7 or Win10. Default skin was on Windows 7, new skin on Windows 10. Seems it wasn't able to read from somewhere. But my platform is same - Windows 10.

By the way - I found another issue for Windows 10 LTSC: ThinApp 5.2.3 can not accept legit registration key.

• 1. Re: ThinApp incompatibility with Windows 10 (1909)
          tunemickyJP Novice
          vExpert

Hi BREAKANOISE.

This problem is caused by failure to load dummyTLS.dll /dummyNt.exe / dummyTLS64.dll

Workaround:

VMware ThinApp 5.2.4 Release Notes

Additional modules have been added in this release. You must copy them to the deployment machine in specific cases, as desribed below. The modules are not required during application capture:

For 32-bit virtual applications which crash at launch on Windows 10, copy the file dummyTLS.dll to the folder C:\Windows\SysWOW64 on a 64-bit deployment machine or to the folder C:\Windows\System32 on a 32-bit deployment machine.

For 64-bit virtual applications which crash at launch on Windows 10, copy the file dummyTLS64.dll to the folder C:\Windows\System32 on a 64-bit deployment machine.

For 32-bit virtual applications which fail to start when launched from a 64-bit ThinApped application on Windows 10, copy the file dummyNt.exe to the folder C:\Windows\SysWOW64 on a 64-bit deployment machine

regards.

• 2. Re: ThinApp incompatibility with Windows 10 (1909)
            skipdog172 Lurker

We were (and still are) having issues getting file associations to work with 1909.

VMware has now officially told us that 1909 is not supported by any currently released version of ThinApp. They won't offer any more assistance on our issue.

It'd be nice to know how long we'll have to wait until VMware gets their own product working with the latest windows version.

• 3. Re: ThinApp incompatibility with Windows 10 (1909)
              julatoski Hot Shot
              VMware Employees

Hi BREAKANOISE,

ThinApp 5.2.7. was released and contains some updates including support for Microsoft Windows 10, version 1909.  Please see the VMware ThinApp 5.2.7 Release Notes for more details.