VMware Communities
osbornepark
Contributor
Contributor

Graphics defects and slow performance with 3D effect when browsing versions of a file in macOS Catalina guest

I find that most of the graphics animations work pretty well on a macOS Catalina guest vm I have installed.  However when I select 'revert' from the 'file' menu (e.g. in text editor) to look at previous versions of a file, the system locks up for a few seconds and when the 3D view appears there are graphics distortions all over the screen.  Pressing the arrow up or arrow down keys to go through the different versions is also quite slow in responding.

Has anyone else noticed this and I wonder if it would be possible for you to fix this in VMware Tools.

Many thanks,

Daniel

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

So couple of things - make sure that you have at least 2 virtual cores assigned to the guest (OS requires 2 core minimum) - even if it breaks the n-1 max cores per guest guidance.

Second, unfortunately no virtualization engine (including Fusion), provides 3d acceleration for OSX guests, so some of this is expected behavior.  It's a technical limitation in how OSX (as a guest) works.

0 Kudos