VMware Cloud Community
hamidja
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Migrating from VSS to VDS with no downtime

hi dear friends

i have 4 dl380g10 and 4  or 3 port group on each of them.PG 1 and 2 are similar but other are diffrent.one PG for vm and mgmt with 2 VMNIC .one PG with 1 vmnic for VMotion .other PG for other use.

1- is it correct that i must create every PG of my VSS in VDS?

2- how should i plan it? others told first migrate some physical NICs then vmkernels if it is right should i first mmigrate one of my mgmt VMNICS?

3-what should i do to avoid losing VDS mgmt when i lose my VC?

thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Here‘s a useful guide: How to Do the Old Switcheroo: Migrating vSS to vDS with Zero Downtime - VMware on VMware

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

For the 1st Q, yes create the corresponding distributed PortGroups and then run the VSS-2-VDS migration operation.

For the 2nd Q, your plan is Ok, totally regardless of physical networking structure and VLAN configuration, do like the following list:

1. Migrate some of pNIC to the VDS.

2. Migrate MGMT port group to the VDS and check the ESXi host connectivity

3. Migrate other VMs networking and check their connectivities

4. Migrate remain networking object to the VDS at last

I put the link of my video series about how to VDS migration here, I described there with more details. I hope it will be helpful for you

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
thebart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Where can I attain the script they use in this post?

0 Kudos