VMware Cloud Community
Timbaland
Contributor
Contributor

Error - FAILED: A general system error occurred: The user name or password is incorrect.

I am currently using VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 6.2.0 build-8466193. I am trying to convert a Windows 10 machine and placing the destination file to a network share with the destination type VMware Workstation. I am getting the following error - "Error - FAILED: A general system error occurred: The user name or password is incorrect". I can only guess that the network share needs a username and pw but there isn't a place to put it before initiating a conversion. Please advise.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Why don't you put the converted VM to a local place and then move it to the shared folder?

Anyway it seems the problem is related to the privilege of your credential, but can you attach a picture of this error?

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
Timbaland
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

There isn't enough space on my local drive. I have attached picture of the error. Please advise.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

it is not clear if you have solved it, there is not enough space on your local disk and you get the incorrect username and password error?

... or you haven't solved it yet.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
Timbaland
Contributor
Contributor

I have not solved the issue. Why am I getting this error?

I am exporting the VM to a shared drive as I do not have space on my local drive.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Sodoshi
Contributor
Contributor

You are getting the error because the user account of the vmware converter service(s) are not valid on your network share. (The dafault is local system service) You can fix this by changing the account of the services to your domain account, or, if necessary, create a local machine account with user/pass valid the same as a local machine user account valid on the remote share.

gclayburg
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into this issue as well.  For me, the windows laptop I was trying to convert was not a member of a domain. It only had a local user to log on with.  When I ran vmware converter, it gave the option to save to a network location in the form of \\networksharename\folder.  It allowed me to browse the location and select a directory.  It also prompted me for the credentials to access it.  However, when the conversion process starts, it appears that these credentials I entered are not used.  Instead, like Sodoshi suggests, the conversion propcess attempts to use the credentials of the local logged on user, which of course my network server knows nothing about.

This seems like an oversight or a bug to me.  The workaround in my case was to not try to save the image to a remote windows share.  I just created the image on a USB connected drive.

0 Kudos
JimVern
Contributor
Contributor

I tried everything anyone suggested in many different posts.  I could not get it to save to my High Sierra Mac OS via any suggested method.

However, using VMWare Converter 6.4, I was FINALLY able to convert my Win10Pro VM running on Parallels 13 to Fusion 11.x by attaching a large USB drive to a USB 2.0 port (because Parallels and Fusion do not see drives attached via my USB 3.0 card).  I uninstalled Parallels Tools from my VM, and installed VMWare Converter 6.4 on the VM.  Then I set the destination of the converted VM to the USB drive.  Finally it worked.  Save yourself a LOT of trouble and just attach a USB drive to the VM...

0 Kudos