VMware Cloud Community
Trainacomin
Contributor
Contributor

VMDK file stops mid move and quits

Hi,

I have  a situation where I need to move a vm from one datastore to another. I have a 72 GB file that I need to move.

I have tried to migrate, move and download in Vsphere web client. I also tried to log in to the node via winscp and ssh. Each time I try the move it moves a little more than 40 GB and stops. I have another 45GB file in the VM that moved with no problem.

I don't have a space issue.

We lost a controller last week and we are rebuilding our datastores and I need move all VMs off. This one will not move completely.

I am pretty new to the admin side of vmware but a guy I work with said there was a way to move any file but he didnt' tell me how before he left for 2 week vacation.

Any help would be appriciated!

Clint

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community.

Please tell us a something about your environment, i.e. whether you are managing the hosts via vCenter, and how (which edition) the hosts are licensed.

Also take look at the logfiles - e.g.vmkernel.log - to see whether it contains detials about the non-working copy (e.g. I/O issues)

André

0 Kudos
ashishsingh1508
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This seems to be a network disrupt probably.

Does your ESXi host has access to both source and destination?

If Yes,

try

vmkfstools -i source.vmdk /vmfs/volumes/datastore/folder/destination.vmdk

Let me know how it goes, if this fail. Check vmkernel during that time

Ashish Singh VCP-6.5, VCP-NV 6, VCIX-6,VCIX-6.5, vCAP-DCV, vCAP-DCD
0 Kudos
Trainacomin
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using 6.5.0 Build 5318154.

Looking in the logs I don't anything but it might have flushed the logs since I did the move. I'll start the cp again and watch those logs.

0 Kudos
Trainacomin
Contributor
Contributor

I get

DiskLib_Check() failed for source disk Failed to lock the file.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

DiskLib_Check() failed for source disk Failed to lock the file

Which .vmdk file names did you use in the command? The command expects header/descriptor .vmdk files, i.e. no flat, delta, or sesparse files.

Btw. if you VM has active snapshots (<vmname>-00000x.vmdk files), make sure that you specify the current snapshot (the one from the .vmx file)  as the source .vmdk, otherwise the destination virtual disk will not contain the current state!

In doubt, provide a list of files in the VM's folder (i.e. the output of ls -lisa).

André

0 Kudos
Trainacomin
Contributor
Contributor

I was moving the flat files when I first posted but I've read since then that's not the right way. I changed to the .vmdk file and I get the same error. The VM is powered on, does it need to be powered down?

Sadly we don't keep snapshots, not enough space...

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, the VM needs to be powered off for the files to be copied, otherwise the .vmdk file is locked.

André

0 Kudos