VMware Cloud Community
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Unable to run the vCheck health report

Hi All,

Im trying to run the vCheck health report but its throwing an error every time. Also, can we restrict to few report like vCenter,Data store, VM and Host etc...

S D:\vmk\vcheck> .\vCheck.ps1

Security warning

Run only scripts that you trust. While scripts from the internet can be useful, this script can potentially harm your

computer. If you trust this script, use the Unblock-File cmdlet to allow the script to run without this warning

message. Do you want to run D:\vmk\vcheck\Styles\Clarity\Style.ps1?

[D] Do not run  [R] Run once  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "D"): R

WARNING:

WARNING: Welcome to vCheck by Virtu-Al http://virtu-al.net

WARNING: =================================================

WARNING: This is the first time you have run this script or you have re-enabled the setup wizard.

WARNING:

WARNING: To re-run this wizard in the future please use vCheck.ps1 -Config

WARNING: To get usage information, please use Get-Help vCheck.ps1

WARNING:

WARNING: Please complete the following questions or hit Enter to accept the current setting

WARNING: After completing this wizard the vCheck report will be displayed on the screen.

WARNING:

WARNING:

Begin Plugin Processing

[17:57:32] ..start calculating Connection settings for vCenter by Alan Renouf v1.20 [1 of 116]

Connect-VIServer : 12/26/2019 5:57:35 PM        Connect-VIServer                Could not resolve the requested VC serve

r.

Additional Information: There was no endpoint listening at https://vcsa.local.lab/sdk that could accept the message.

This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details.

At D:\vmk\vcheck\Plugins\00 Initialize\00 Connection Plugin for vCenter.ps1:151 char:20

+    $VIConnection = Connect-VIServer -Server $VIServer -Port $Port

+                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (:) [Connect-VIServer], ViServerConnectionException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_ConnectivityServiceImpl_Reconnect_NameResolutionFailure,VMware.VimAutomation.Vi

Core.Cmdlets.Commands.ConnectVIServer

D:\vmk\vcheck\Plugins\00 Initialize\00 Connection Plugin for vCenter.ps1 : Unable to connect to vCenter, please

ensure you have altered the vCenter server address correctly. To specify a username and password edit the connection

string in the file $GlobalVariables

At D:\vmk\vcheck\vCheck.ps1:896 char:56

+ ... = [math]::round((Measure-Command { $Details = @(. $_.FullName)}).Tota ...

+                                                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,00 Connection Plugin for vCenter.ps1

Thanks

vmk

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No, not really.
This thread seems to be going on forever

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
68 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Looks like vCheck can't resolve the name of the VCSA?

Is DNS resolution working from the station where you launch the script?

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

LucD,

You are right, it seems but i cant find option to change the VCSA name in the script because there are multiple files. Do you have any idea which file need to edit and change VCSA name.

thanks

vmk

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Have a look at Re: run vCheck for mutliple VC

I explained where to define the vCenter (plugin00) and how to run against multiple vCenters (if needed).

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi LucD,

I have changed the vcenter name in connection plugin but still throws an error. Can you share connection plugin format  for Vc ?

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What exactly did you change in plugin00 ?
On line 11 you should update the value assigned to the variable $Server

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

LucD,

Thanks for your response, i appreciate it. Yes, line 11, i entered VC server name.

Also, where the out will generate ? which folder.

Where i need to edit for sending mailto ?

Last can we shorten the report ?

Kindly help me.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The output is stored in $env:TEMP.
But you can select another location with the -OutputPath parameter.

The mail settings are defined in the file GlobalVariables.ps1.
Which you can edit manually or interactively when you run vCheck.ps1 for the 1st time or with the -Config switch.

The amount of output is controlled by the plugins you select.

The Select-Plugins.ps1 script is one way of selecting the plugins.

Another way to select the plugins which should run is through the XML file you pass on the -Job parameter.

Not sure why the Connect-VIServer does not work for you.
I assume you see the VCSA name you updated in the error message?

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

LucD,

Script its running with error

pastedImage_0.png

$env:TEMP - you mean output will be in temp location ?

GlobalVariables.ps1. - I was able to trace and done changes for mail settings.

select another location with the -OutputPath parameter. -  Can you help me ? Where i need to do changes and which file.

Suppose, i don't need powered-off VM's status,VMware tools, EVC mismatch and many others because it taking time to generate output. How to avoid or skip the report which i don't need actually. which i file need to edit  to skip example - powered-off VM's status,VMware tools, EVC mismatch.

I have 42 VC and many are in remote sites which are not in Vrops, hence wanted to monitor. Kindly help me to execute successfully.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

vmk

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, the Temp folder for the account that is running the script.

You add the -OutputPath parameter, with a valid location, when you call vCheck.ps1.

.\vCheck.ps1 -OutputPath '.\MyFolder'

For the plugins you have two options:

1. Run .\Select-Plugins.ps1. It will ask for each plugin if you want to have it enabled or not.
  2. Use an XML file on the -Job parameter. In that XML file you can specify which plugins need to run (see my explanation in the thread I linked to earlier).

Your issue with the vCenter is something I can't fix from here.
You are apparently using a vCenter FQDN that can't be resolved by the Connect-VIServer.

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

LucD,

I will check your recommendations and get back but its seems vcheck report completed but i cant see any output file name ? What will be the name of report in temp folder ?

Thanks

vmk

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There should be a file with a name like "<VIServerName>_vCheck_<yyyyMMdd_HHmm>.htm" in the folder from $OutputPath.

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ok never mind. I did executed the script again output folder and using 

.\vCheck.ps1 -OutputPath 'D:\MyFolder'

Hope this time it generate the report. But i'm unable to find the plugin.xml file and this is best option. can you please help on this ? However, i ran the plugin using 1st option and i was unable to enable/disable. Thank you again. Let see if this time it works.

Even, i have enabled the mail to but not receiving any mail for report.

Thanks

vmk

.\vCheck.ps1 -OutputPath 'D:\MyFolder'

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not sure what you mean by the plugin.xml file?

You can create a job.xml file, in which you can specify which plugins shall run.

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ok vc1.xml i did created with help of your template. How about the connection plugin ? I see some line is missing in screeshot, will it work ?  It's seems i'm able to closer to getting the report.

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks

vmk

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you mean the line with the Get-vCheckSetting call, that was something that was added in a later version of vCheck.
My screenshot was made in 2016.
You have to use the current layout of plugin00 of course.

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

LucD,

You meant to say that i don't have use now ? I need to stick with Get-vCheckSetting  given

pastedImage_0.png

Also, i forgot to ask earlier one question. Do i need to disable the plugin every time whenever i run the vcheck.ps1  using below Cli ?

Run .\Select-Plugins.ps1. It will ask for each plugin if you want to have it enabled or not.

Thanks

vmk

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You use the one that comes with the vCheck distribution as a template.
But you make the changes (content and filename) as I showed in the other thread.
Then in your .xml file, you point to the plgins you want to use.

For plugin00 that would mean the new filename you have given it.

And no, if you go for the .xml file, you explictely name the plugins you want to use.

Then you do not need to use Select-Plugins.ps1.

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

LucD,

Sorry, i'm unable to understand. My accept my apologies for asking again. I think, i mixed up with 2 questions.

Since, i'm planning to use task scheduler, hence please let me know 

Then in your .xml file, you point to the plugins you want to use.-  How to define ?

For plugin00 that would mean the new filename you have given it.- is it same you are referring above ?

And no, if you go for the .xml file, you explicitly name the plugins you want to use. - How to explicitly define ?

Last, i was able to generate report this time. thank you.

thanks

vmk

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

LucD,

You mean to say  use below format and  run the commmand - .\vCheck.ps1 -job job.xml -Outputpath D:\My Folder    ?  Please confirm

<vCheck>
  <globalVariables>GlobalVariables.ps1</globalVariables>
  <plugins path="plugins-vSphere">
  <plugin>00 Connection Plugin for vCenter.ps1</plugin>
  <plugin>03 Datastore Information.ps1</plugin>
  <plugin>11 VMs with over CPU Count LOL WRONG PATH.ps1</plugin>
  <plugin>99 VeryLastPlugin Used to Disconnect.ps1</plugin>
  </plugins>
</vCheck>

2) But each time its prompting to give input Example - R or D input. how to avoid or skip this ? And its keep prompting me in the middle of job to press D/R/S.

pastedImage_0.png

3) How i can run for multiple VC ?

4) I'm looking for report in mail box. Do i need to set the variable in $global variable to $true ?

thanks

vmk

0 Kudos