10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2019 8:10 AM by a.p.

Unable to open file .vmdk.  One of the disks in this virtual machine is already in use by a virtual machine or by a snapshot.

MBHkewl Novice

Hello,

I've gone through some of the forum links around (mainly this), but unfortunately I wasn't able to have my VM work. I'm almost done with my bootcamp's final project and now all files are gone, so help is highly appreciated...

I'm using Workstation Pro 15.5 and have been running this VM since September. I've enabled AutoProtect on it with hourly snapshots, up to 3. Yesterday, Windows 10 decided to put the laptop to standby, when I woke it up, it gave me a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD), crash dumped, and rebooted. After the reboot, I was unable to power on my VM, with the error message: "Unable to open file .vmdk.  One of the disks in this virtual machine is already in use by a virtual machine or by a snapshot."

When I first checked the VM's settings in the UI, it was pointing the disk at coded-debian-0001.vmdk rather than the main vmdk file. I tried changing that and pointing it elsewhere, but the same error kept showing.

I've attached the directory structure and file output, among other files. There were lock files and whatnot. I copied the VM's folder and played with the original (the copy is intact). I tried removing all lock files, but that didn't help. I tried using the vdiskmanager -r option on the main .vmdk and on the snapshots' .vmdk but it always produced a .vmdk that points at the first disk of the VM, not the latest one or near latest. Then I tried the option -R on each vmdk (main and snapshots) and it found that 0002.vmdk was corrupted and fixed it, however, I was still unable to power on the VM.

If it's of any importance, my laptop uses an NVMe, and when it restarted, I ran a filesystem check, but Windows reported that no errors were found. Also, the VM was idle and no files were being written to, though there were open files at the time.

Thank you.