VMware Cloud Community
Aljarrah
Contributor
Contributor

ESX Host Shutdown auditing

Hello,

We are running ESXi 6.5 (VM version 13) cluster with 2 nodes , HA is configured between the 2 host machines.

Few days ago , one of the ESX hosts went down without any apparent reason except for some logs which I am sharing below.

Host 11 is in a different network partition.jpgCapture 2.jpg

First Log Entry.jpg

Hosted Windows machines have shown the usual "last shutdown was unexpected".

vSphare logs didn't show a clear reason behind this issue.

Is there a way to tell why this host machine went down?

Kindly advise

Regards

0 Kudos
7 Replies
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Hi, Please check these following log files in the /var/log path in the SSH/Shell access on the ESXi host. Search for any related events in time interval of that failure:

vmkernel.log , vmksummary.log

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
Aljarrah
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you , you think this log file will contain information not present under the vSphere event section?

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Your attached screens are showing the Cluster object's event section, I think it's better to check the ESXi host event log details.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
Aljarrah
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

You mean they are different?

Is there a GUI interface to those host log files?

Regards

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

If it's hard for you to investigate the log files in the CLI environment and want to search in a GUI environment, you can download them by tools like WinSCP and open in any editor app and search for related errors, warning or etc. Or you can copy them to the datastore path with the following command in shell and download via browsing the datastore.

cp /var/log/*.log /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/temp/

0 Kudos
Aljarrah
Contributor
Contributor

Sure , and you mean that the information contained in the log files are different from that displayed by vCenter. right?

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

By investigation of exactly log files, you have more details about everything that happened into your ESXi host.

0 Kudos