VMware Cloud Community
spathmar
Contributor
Contributor

import-module vmware.vimautomation.extensions fails to define Method: get_CreateDate'

Hello,

Any idea why I'm getting this error?

thanks!

PS C:\Users\Administrator> import-module vmware.vimautomation.extensions -verbose

VERBOSE: Loading module from path

'C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\vmware.vimautomation.extensions\vmware.vimautomation.extensions.psd1'.

VERBOSE: Loading 'Assembly' from path

'C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\vmware.vimautomation.extensions\InternalVimService60.dll'.

'C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\vmware.vimautomation.extensions\InternalVimService60.dll'.

'C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\vmware.vimautomation.extensions\VMware.VimAutomation.Extensions.dll'.

'C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\vmware.vimautomation.extensions\VMware.VimAutomation.Extensions.dll'.

VERBOSE: Loading 'FormatsToProcess' from path

'C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\vmware.vimautomation.extensions\VMware.VimAutomation.Extensions.Format.ps1xml'.

'C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\vmware.vimautomation.extensions\Initialize-VMware_VimAutomation_Extensions.ps1'.

VERBOSE: Dot-sourcing the script file

'C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\vmware.vimautomation.extensions\Initialize-VMware_VimAutomation_Extensions.ps1'.

import-module : Method 'get_CreateDate' in type

'VMware.VimAutomation.Extensions.InstantClone.Types.InstantCloneVirtualMachineImpl' from assembly

'VMware.VimAutomation.Extensions, Version=3.0.0.1649, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' does not have an implementation.

At line:1 char:1

+ import-module vmware.vimautomation.extensions -verbose

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Import-Module], TypeLoadException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.TypeLoadException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

PS C:\Users\Administrator>

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

This module is not part of the VMware PowerCLI modules, but is the PowerCLI Extensions Fling.

Looks like you, or someone else, has asked the same question over there as well.

Which PowerShell version are you using?

Which PowerCLI version are you using?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
spathmar
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply!

yes it was me.

Below are the version I'm running

PS C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop> Get-Host | Select-Object Version

Version

-------

PS C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop> Get-PowerCLIVersion

WARNING: The cmdlet "Get-PowerCLIVersion" is deprecated. Please use the 'Get-Module' cmdlet instead.

PowerCLI Version

----------------

VMware PowerCLI 11.5.0 build 14912921

---------------

Component Versions

---------------

VMware Common PowerCLI Component 11.5 build 14898112

VMware Cis Core PowerCLI Component PowerCLI Component 11.5 build 14898113

VMware VimAutomation VICore Commands PowerCLI Component PowerCLI Component 11.5 build 14899560

PS C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop>

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

That vSphere version is definitely not supported anymore.
I'm not even sure if the Fling is intended to work with that vSphere version.

Nor do I know if the Fling is actively maintained at the moment, especially since most of the functionality in the Fling is now available in the VMware PowerCLI modules.

What specific functionality from the PowerCLI Extensions Fling are you looking for?

0 Kudos
spathmar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to use the instantClone feature.

but when I run it returns this error followed by bunch more of them..

Placing vmParent in suspended state...

Enable-InstantCloneVM : The 'Enable-InstantCloneVM' command was found in the module 'VMware.VimAutomation.Extensions',

but the module could not be loaded. For more information, run 'Import-Module VMware.VimAutomation.Extensions'.

At C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\instantClone.ps1:67 char:17

+ $parentForkVM = Enable-InstantCloneVM -VM $parentVM -guestUser $guest ...

+                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Enable-InstantCloneVM:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CouldNotAutoloadMatchingModule

Press any key to spawn children ...

Spawning Child1

New-InstantCloneVM : The 'New-InstantCloneVM' command was found in the module 'VMware.VimAutomation.Extensions', but

the module could not be loaded. For more information, run 'Import-Module VMware.VimAutomation.Extensions'.

At C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\instantClone.ps1:117 char:24

so I tried removing the alias for all of them then attempt to re-import the module then get the get_CreateDate error

remove-item alias:Enable-InstantCloneVM

Import-Module : Method 'get_CreateDate' in type

'VMware.VimAutomation.Extensions.InstantClone.Types.InstantCloneVirtualMachineImpl' from assembly

'VMware.VimAutomation.Extensions, Version=3.0.0.1649, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' does not have an

you mentioned not supported vSphere..? I'm running 6.7.

what version would be supported? should I downgrade to 6.5?

thanks

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

No, my bad, I misread that you were using vSphere 5.1.

I would suggest to have a look at William's posts on Instant Cloning.

He even provided a module InstantClone for that in the PowerCLI Examples repository.

0 Kudos
spathmar
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!!

this looks promising,

I'll take a stab at it.

0 Kudos
tkn1980
Contributor
Contributor

Are you able to fix this ? I am facing same issue ,but not able to find a way ...

0 Kudos