1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 21, 2019 3:51 AM by Preetam Zare

    vSAN Disk Group Configuration Question.

    floridaIT Lurker

      I have spent a lot of time trying to find an answer to this question, but I have not been able to find a definite answer. Any insight is appreciated.

       

      We are running a 4 node vSAN 6.7 U2 setup. We started with 2 nodes a few years ago and have added the other 2 nodes in the last year by reappropriating some existing hard. 

       

      This has created vSAN disk groups that are not similar.  This year we have replaced all the caching drive so that they are all identical on every host, but that is not the case for the capacity drives. I know that in a perfect situation, all capacity drives would be the same size, but I have a limited budget.

       

      My question: what should be my main goal be when choosing the capacity drives for a disk group? 

       

      Any insight on this is appreciated.

       

      Here are our disk groups configuration:

       

      Host 1

      Disk Group 1 = 4 Capacity Disk

      2TB

      1TB

      1TB

      1TB

      Disk Group 2 = 1 Capacity Disk

      3.5TB

      Disk Group 3 = 4 Capacity Disk

      2TB

      1TB

      1TB

      1TB

       

      Host 2

      Disk Group 1 = 1 Capacity Disk

      3.5TB

      Disk Group 2 = 3 Capacity Disk

      2TB

      1TB

      1TB

      Disk Group 3 = 4 Capacity Disk

      2TB

      1TB

      1TB

      1TB

       

      Host 3

      Disk Group 1 = 3 Capacity Disk

      3.5TB

      1TB

      1TB

      Disk Group 2 = 3 Capacity Disk

      3.5TB

      1TB

      1TB

      Disk Group 3 = 4 Capacity Disk

      2TB

      2TB

      1TB

      1TB

       

      Host 4

      Disk Group 1 = 1 Capacity Disk

      2TB

      Disk Group 2 = 2 Capacity Disk

      2TB

      1TB

      Disk Group 3 = 2 Capacity Disk

      2TB

      1TB

        • 1. Re: vSAN Disk Group Configuration Question.
          Preetam Zare Expert

          Sorry but Iṁ trying to understand your question.

           

          My question: what should be my main goal be when choosing the capacity drives for a disk group?

          Goal or design criteria is always around sizing.

          what your performance requirement is, keep 10% minimum for cache and remaining 90% capacity drive.

          Does that help?

           

          Also, is there a reason you do not wish to consolidate disk group.

          With Great Regards,
          TechS
          vExpert 2012-2017 | VCP3-5 | VCAP5-DCD | VCP-NV | vSAN Specialist | VDI | Germany