VMware Cloud Community
sadom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vm logs delete

how to delete vm logs file in datastore? esxi 5.5 and alsa we are using veeam 7 . any bug ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Just highlight and delete them. Don't assume it's a bug. Do not delete vmware.log.

0 Kudos
T180985
Expert
Expert

You can just go ahead and remove them if you no longer want the log files.

"For archival purposes, the log is renamed with a sequential number added to the end, and a new vmware.log file is created. Archived log files are named vmware-#.log. The most recent archived version is named vmware-1.log. When the vmware.log file is next archived, the existing vmware-1.log file is renamed vmware-2.log"

VMware Knowledge Base

you can also limit the number of old logs that are retained by editing the VM advanced setting "vmx.log.keepOld"

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums
0 Kudos
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It's no bug but functionality. You can keep the log files as it is and there's no harm in that. You can also limit the log files per your requirement using the setting "vmx.log.keepOld" posted by T180985​. Detailed article for same below:

Limit the Number of Log Files in the vSphere Web Client

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

If a VM writes logs as large as those in the screenshot it means that the VM needs help.

Solve the problem and delete the logs when you are done.

0 Kudos