VMware Cloud Community
goldserve
Contributor
Contributor

Web interface not working on additional vmkernel on different subnet

I have multiple IP addresses on my host so I have two different firewalls running virtually to play with and as a backup, i'd like the other firewall/subnet to also be able to access the ESXI interface directly and not through a tunnel back to the primary firewall.

I created a new TCP/IP stack, added a vmkernel with a different VLAN and got that VLAN's ip address through the second firewall. I assigned management to this vmkernel but I am still unable to access its web interface. I can ping the ESXi interface on this secondary subnet of course.

Needless to say I have already played with the firewall but its default set to accept for any ip address and i've even disabled it for giggles but no go.

What am I missing?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jburen
Expert
Expert

Did you add a persistent route to your second management network? Have a look at this article: VMware Knowledge Base

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
goldserve
Contributor
Contributor

If i added a second vmkernel to the default TCP/IP stack, routing was not correct and I could not ping the interface. I have learned to add a new TCP/IP stack and setup its own vmkernel and then I was able to ping the interface fine. The routing is set up correct with two TCP/IP stacks.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

However you know how to do create and check connectivity from diffrent TCP/IP stacks via two diffrent VMKernels, but it's not bad to look at this link anyway: Overriding the Default Gateway of a VMkernel Adapter

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
goldserve
Contributor
Contributor

The article doesn't seem to apply as I have management set on both vmkernels and the article implies the configuration of multiple vmkernels under the same TCP/IP stack. Like I said, if the two vmkernels under the same TCP/IP stack, only one responds to pings because the routing table and default route applies to the TCP/IP stack and usually the first vmkernel sets the default gateway. This does not allow concurrent management interfaces on two subnets.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Can you test the result of the Telnet connection to the ESXi via that additional VMK port from one client on your 2nd network and give the results?

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
goldserve
Contributor
Contributor

Did you mean SSH instead of Telnet? I have a serial port forwarded on the host so when I telnet to my ESXi instance over the first VMK1, i get my VM's serial console. When I telnet over the VMK2 on a different subnet, nothing happens, timeout.

Obviously when I use putty and ssh to VMK1, I get the login. When I ssh to VMK2, I get Network error: connection refused.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Did you test it if you remove the management from the first VMKernel port and it only to the second one, the problem still exists or not?!

One thing I forget to ask you ... are the both of VMK port belong to the same vSwitch or in the different vSwitches? if they are not separated by the vSwitch, can you change your structure and check with two vSwitch (and then also using different physical uplink)

0 Kudos