VMware Cloud Community
MinoDC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere Replication in Two Site with 1 VCSA

Hi to all...

could you solve my doubt ?

• I've an infrastructure with 1 VCSA 6.7 and 3 host ESXi all licensed with Essential Plus license.
  • I've two site Site-A and Site-B .
  • In Site-A i've shared storage with 2 ESXi and 1 VCSA (all VMs are saved on shared storage).
  • In Site-B i've 1 ESXi host with local datastore

If i install vRA (manager and server) in Site-A, can in replicate in Site-B my VMs in ESXi local datastore?

If, YES.....in case of DR, how can bring up my replicated VMs, without VCSA?

Thanks to all for any suggestions

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rshenoy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

First and foremost,DR cannot be performed within one single vCenter. vSphere Replication is registered to your vCenter due to which vCenter should ideally be accessible in order to acess vSphere replication user interface.You should ideally have two different vCenter if you call it disaster recovery.

Yes you can replicate within the same vCenter. Even in that scenario fail-over of servers is only possible if the current vCenter is up and running.There are other ways to power on the servers but that would involve command line.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Ritesh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

vRA usually means vRealize Automation, which is different

That aside

Replicating a Virtual Machine in a Single vCenter Server Instance

though restarting the vms without vcenter isn't that easy, and you can't really protect vcenter with vsphere replication.

0 Kudos
MinoDC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've also veeam for backup and then it protect VCSA.

In case of DR, if VCSA is not protect , It Is not problem.

My doubt, is if i can power-on the protect VMs in case of dr , if VCSA is down....and if i can protect VMs on esxi with local datastore.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
rshenoy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

First and foremost,DR cannot be performed within one single vCenter. vSphere Replication is registered to your vCenter due to which vCenter should ideally be accessible in order to acess vSphere replication user interface.You should ideally have two different vCenter if you call it disaster recovery.

Yes you can replicate within the same vCenter. Even in that scenario fail-over of servers is only possible if the current vCenter is up and running.There are other ways to power on the servers but that would involve command line.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Ritesh

0 Kudos
MinoDC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Perfect....thanks.

0 Kudos