2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2020 11:39 PM by Marco_66

Sudden VM console keyboard input failure of the 6.7.0 Update 3 hypervisor.

wannavm Lurker

Not sure what went wrong, but all of a sudden, I can't use my keyboard to control any VMs via their web console.

Using the latest chrome normal keys (a-z,0-9) do not generate any response from the vm, whereas up and down keys scroll up and down on the console's history, even if the VM is showing a setup screen which normally would intercept these inputs.

While using non chromium MS edge, keyboard inputs work as they should.

Looking at the developer console (both edge & chrome), I see many errors for "Unknown class found TooManyWrites" that is triggered from main.js

Any idea what could have gone wrong? This setup was working before.

• 1. Re: Sudden VM console keyboard input failure of the 6.7.0 Update 3 hypervisor.
          wannavm Lurker

Followup: seems the issue mainly impacts linux style systems, with or without vmtools. Virtualized windows responds to keyboard / mouse inputs normally, no matter the browser. TooManyWrites errors is still recurring, even with a windows session. Not sure if it is related or not.

• 2. Re: Sudden VM console keyboard input failure of the 6.7.0 Update 3 hypervisor.
            Marco_66 Lurker

Hi to everyone

I don't know if mi issue is the same as above ....

I have an ESXi 6.7.2 running on an HP DL560 Gen9 Server with a Ubuntu VM.

The VM Console was working fine without any problems but now I can write to the console from the VM (via echo TEST > /dev/console)but I am unable to see the echo of what I type in the console using the keyboard, so I cannot use it anymore ...using ssh in order to connect to the VM is OK.

I have done some Network tuning but I have also tried to update from 6.7.2 to 6.7.3, but the process got an error (now I don't remember ...). The actual is still version 6.7.2.

I have tried to start another VM but the problem still persist (I have also reboot the Server and ESXi)

Any idea of the cause of this issue ?

Thanks in advance

Marco

EDIT I am using Chrome Web browser and the issue is present only in the console launched from the ESXi Web management. One of the things that I have changed is the switch from Firefox to Chrome... I will try to check with Firefox..