VMware Cloud Community
wannavm
Contributor
Contributor

Sudden VM console keyboard input failure of the 6.7.0 Update 3 hypervisor.

Not sure what went wrong, but all of a sudden, I can't use my keyboard to control any VMs via their web console.

Using the latest chrome normal keys (a-z,0-9) do not generate any response from the vm, whereas up and down keys scroll up and down on the console's history, even if the VM is showing a setup screen which normally would intercept these inputs.

While using non chromium MS edge, keyboard inputs work as they should.

Looking at the developer console (both edge & chrome), I see many errors for "Unknown class found TooManyWrites" that is triggered from main.js

Any idea what could have gone wrong? This setup was working before.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
wannavm
Contributor
Contributor

Followup: seems the issue mainly impacts linux style systems, with or without vmtools. Virtualized windows responds to keyboard / mouse inputs normally, no matter the browser. TooManyWrites errors is still recurring, even with a windows session. Not sure if it is related or not.

0 Kudos
Marco_66
Contributor
Contributor

Hi to everyone

I don't know if mi issue is the same as above ....

I have an ESXi 6.7.2 running on an HP DL560 Gen9 Server with a Ubuntu VM.

The VM Console was working fine without any problems but now I can write to the console from the VM (via echo TEST > /dev/console)but I am unable to see the echo of what I type in the console using the keyboard, so I cannot use it anymore ...using ssh in order to connect to the VM is OK.

I have done some Network tuning but I have also tried to update from 6.7.2 to 6.7.3, but the process got an error (now I don't remember ...). The actual is still version 6.7.2.

I have tried to start another VM but the problem still persist (I have also reboot the Server and ESXi)

Any idea of the cause of this issue ?

Thanks in advance

Marco

EDIT I am using Chrome Web browser and the issue is present only in the console launched from the ESXi Web management. One of the things that I have changed is the switch from Firefox to Chrome... I will try to check with Firefox..

0 Kudos
ashmirza
Contributor
Contributor

were you able to find a fix for this, I am seeing this behavior on all my Ubuntu VMs

0 Kudos
XW2020
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue. My Linux VM console has been working fine and suddenly stopped taking any keyboard input. Either only taking a few keys or not taking any input. VMSA 6.7. Windows VM console works fine.

Anybody get this issue resolved?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
TheJagtx
Contributor
Contributor

I had similar issue while trying to type in the console on linux vms (windows worked).  Found out, I must have hit pause break button on my keyboard.  Hit pause break and try again!

RoyMerritt
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much @TheJagtx I was losing my mind wondering how all input could have suddenly broken with absolutely no changes but hitting pause break was the key!

0 Kudos
Apple2403
Contributor
Contributor

@TheJagtx Thx, you saved my day. It was "Scroll Lock" for me. Hitting this again directly unlocked the Linux console.

Joelg316
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you @TheJagtx and @Apple2403. It was the scroll lock key for me too.

0 Kudos
RamanadhaReddy
Contributor
Contributor

You saved my day, @TheJagtx. God bless you. It was Scroll Lock key in my case.

0 Kudos
gawainsr
Contributor
Contributor

This was the ticket for me as well, thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
huykevin1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I own you a beer for day. In my case SCRLCK key

0 Kudos
lexit
Contributor
Contributor

Am i the only one who finds it weird that if i press any of the key: scroll lock, pause break, or any of the other keys is pressed the console doesn't respond anymore in vmware ???

My windows consoles doesn't have these issues and if i check my own laptop it also doesn't matter the state of these keys.

Is this a bug of something ? i am experiencing it at least in my ubuntu consoles, didn't experience it on my redhat consoles, but these are less used from the console

0 Kudos