VMware Cloud Community
RickyMartin0000
Contributor
Contributor

License needed for ESXI 6.5 Host as per the details given

hi,

We've one ESXI 6.5 with 6 Guest OS, on HP Server Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4110 CPU @ 2.10GHz, 128 GM RAM, Sockets 2, Cores per socket 8, Hyper threading enabled, Logical processors 32.

Kindly advice what type of license required and how many?

Thanks in advance

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As long as you don‘t to build a VM with more than 8 vCPUs, vSphere Hypervisor should do you (which is free)

However, that will NOT include support.

vSphere Hypervisor

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
RickyMartin0000
Contributor
Contributor

Dear scott28tt,

Thank you for you reply,

Free version doesn't support Backup solution & downloading the full VM offline so would like to go for Licenses to get the features.  Kindly advice

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Then you need to look at the vSphere license offerings: Server Virtualization Software | vSphere Editions | VMware

As soon as you have a second host (or more), you would probably also want vCenter Server.

This document should help: https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-vsphere-vs...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
RickyMartin0000
Contributor
Contributor

Wishing you and your family Merry Christmas scott28tt

As per Vmware Datasheet, Essential & Essentialplus supports 3 Host with 2 processor each including V Center server but no Vmotion feature supports, whereas STD does support Vmotion, in order to get VMotion feature our backup to be SAN.

My query is, currently we are using  Baracudda as Backup Hardware appliance, Is ESS/ESP/STD support vmotion?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I don't know if you need vMotion or Storage vMotion to do what you want, but the answers are in the paper I linked to: https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-vsphere-vs...

0 Kudos
RickyMartin0000
Contributor
Contributor

Currently we've single Storage so Vmotion Storage is not applicable but I need VMotion so I can move the VM's between the Hosts.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please note that the Essentials Plus Kit includes HA as well as vMotion, so that may be what you want to look at.

Btw. can you please explain where you read that vMotion is required for the backup? Most VM based backup applications - including Barracuda Backup - used the vSphere API for backups, which is available in all paid editions, including the least expensive Essential Kit.

André

0 Kudos
RickyMartin0000
Contributor
Contributor

Hi a.p.

What i came to know form my supplier that, ESP & STD supports VMotion feature only if SAN storage with Fiber interface but not for NAS,

My query is, will the VMotion feature support for h/w backup solution like Barracuda?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Again, I'm not aware of a backup solution that needs vMotion.

What may be a requirements is "Storage vMotion" if the backup solution provides some kind of instant restore, which basically starts the VM from the backup, and then needs to be migrated to your storage system.

Please ask your supplier from where he got the information about the mentioned vMotion limitation. I'm not aware of this.

André

0 Kudos
RickyMartin0000
Contributor
Contributor

Hi A.P & scott28tt ,

We are intend to procure vmware license for our 2 ESXI Hosts with 2 processor each and addition to this Vsphere vcenter for centralize management, Kindly advice the below licenses are sufficient or anything is missing?

Part No: VS6-STD-C - 2 Qty.

VS6-STD-P-SSS-C  - 2 Qty

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would recommend talking with someone who sells vSphere licenses, such as a reseller partner.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

RickyMartin0000

do you have a shared storage?

a need for 4 or more hosts?

is getting SUPPORT a must have?

You should consider the vSphere Essentials or maybe Essentials Plus.    Even the Essentials Plus will be way cheaper than your approach with single licensing (4x ESXi Standard and one instance of vCenter Foundation or Standard)

Regards
Joerg

0 Kudos