VMware Cloud Community
pgstoragelabadm
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a way to pull VDS configuration from a host that is still in state?

We lost our VCSA and it turns out the backups were corrupted. All the hosts are still up and running, but I do not have a current export of the VDS configuration. I've been testing scripts all day long but I've come to the end of my rope. I have a ticket in but it's Sunday evening and I don't expect a response until tomorrow.

I was wondering if there is a way to pull the VCSA configuration from the hosts that are all still up and it's still in memory?

I tried PowerCLI and exporting the VDS from a host, but it just gives an error, I'm assuming it's because I'm connecting to an ESXi host and not a VCSA. Unless I'm missing something?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

you cannot export VDS configuration from the ESXi host such as configuration file! because the management plane of the DVS belongs to the vCenter server, not the ESXi host itself. However, when you add the ESXi to the newly deployed VCSA, it can detect that VDS as a Ghost proxy switch object connected to that ESXi host. BTW if you run the following ESXCLI command you can watch the current configuration of the DVS on the host include associated uplinks and connected VM ports to the dvPortGroups:

esxcli network vswitch dvs vmware list

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem