VMware Communities
lse123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

windows 7 home wanted to run this as VM in the new laptop ... can I with Only 4GB RAM...?

My sister bought a new laptop Dell Inspiron 15 5000 i5 4-core 8xxx - RAM 4GB - Windows 10 1909

The old laptop was windows 7 home, 2007-2009 model.

I converted the old Win 7 OS to VM with the converter from VMware - in an external HDD USB 3.0

and wanted to run this as VM in the new laptop ... can I with Only 4GB RAM...? For now, this is... may in the future upgrade to 8GB(+4GB)

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Under no circumstance give the VM more than 1GB of RAM and 1 vCPU.

Then it is possible, but performance probably won't be great.

Two reasons:

- the lack of sufficient RAM

- the external USB disk, which likely is going to be pretty slow depending on the disk you put in there. If it's an SSD then it is probably OK, if OTOH it is a 4200rpm/5400rpm disk then don't expect too much from it.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I wish they'd stop selling win10 laptops with 4gb, with the average browser using 1gb-2gb of memory, and windows using more on its own the performance in the host os is going to be bad enough. In addition to what wila said, I'd recommend not trying to do things both in the host os and the vm at the same time, it will probably so slow. If your somewhat familar with the windows os, you could follow something like

Black Viper's Windows 10 Service Configurations | Black Viper | www.blackviper.com

to disable some of windows default services, but I'd be aware of what your disabling, and only disable a service if you understand what it does.. I did this for my laptops before I made enough to put as much memory in them as possible.

0 Kudos