1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2019 2:24 PM by extrashot

internet not working in virtual machines problem set 1 of experiments

extrashot Enthusiast

I am trying to play with various kind of scenarios and configurations to understand VMware Workstation networking.

So here is one setting of virtual network editor.

vne settings2.jpg

Virtual machine network adapter configuration

vm network adapter configuration.jpg

Windows IP Configuration in Virtual Machine

Ethernet adapter Ethernet0:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : localdomain
         Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : ffff::ffff:fe6f:c3a4:ffff
         IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.152.128
         Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
         Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.152.2

IP Configuration of Host OS

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
         Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet1:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : ffff::38df:deaf:8a0b:fab6%21
         IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.40.1
         Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet8:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : ffff::a4b9:3f5e:ac98:38c9%15
         IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.152.1

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet2:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : ffff::fdae:731:d6ab:77ff%45
         IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.1

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : domain.name
         Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : ffff::95a5:9984:61e2:a9eb%11
         IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.14
         Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ffff::1262:ebff:fe58:d1d5%11

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : ffff::65f8:ffff:5416:72a4%13
         IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.13
         Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ffff::1262:ebff:fe58:d1d5%13

There is no internet connectivity in Virtual machines.

There are 2 Wifi Cards on this system

Wireless Lan adapter Wifi: Realtek

Wireless Lan Adapter WiFi 2:D Link USB Wifi Adapter

The Host OS is connected to internet from both WiFi cards.

I am a bit confused in virtual network and network adapter settings in virtual machines.

I can ping from virtual machines to host OS both Lan cards.

But from host OS I can not ping to virtual machine.

Also I do not know how to use different different wifi card on host OS for ping to virtual machines.

• 1. Re: internet not working in virtual machines problem set 1 of experiments
          a.p. Guru
          vExpertUser ModeratorsCommunity Warriors

A common reason for not being able to ping the guest OS is the guest's firewall. I case of Windows you may need to allow ICMP 8ping) traffic on the guest's firewall.

Once you ping the guest' IP address, the host will determine the route based on its known routes (command: route print) Since the host has a "Host virtual adapter" for the NAT network, it will use the that one to connect to the guest.

Why you cannot reach the Internet is another issue. It may be worth trying this with only a singe active network adapter on the host.

Are you able to ping e.g. 8.8.8.8 from the guest OS?

Andé

• 2. Re: internet not working in virtual machines problem set 1 of experiments
            extrashot Enthusiast

Yes this is very surprising I am able to ping 8.8.8.8 from the guest OS

I did ping twice to be very sure that it is actually happening.

Here is a screenshot.

gues ping to 8888.jpg

firewall of guest OS is disabled screenshot below

firewall in guest is off.jpg

firewall of host os is on screenshot below

firewall in host is on.jpg

It may be worth trying this with only a singe active network adapter on the host.

Yes you are right I did so and that discussion I was having here https://serverfault.com/questions/994622/internet-connectivity-failure-in-virtual-machines-on-workstation

so let me share the results here also on that serverfault link the result I posted was in comment here    I had one by one disabled both the interfaces and there was no success in getting internet connectivity inside VM.

I had also tried with ethernet cable  and there was no success. Your suggestion of ping to 8.8.8.8 is new thing and this I had not tried.

Right now I am in an environment where I can have a ethernet connection but after 30 days I will be back to where I can not use ethernet. Back in my institute I get internet only via WiFi interfaces not by ethernet. Lan wires simply don't exist at that place. Now coming to the problem why I posted here I have been facing this configuration problem from past 2 months look at this question and answer

https://superuser.com/questions/1495476/internet-disconnects-after-switching-on-virtual-machine-in-bridged-mode

I posted in October in which I tried to do a bridging between a wireless AP and my VMware but it did not worked reason for this is mentioned here

in past 24 hours what I have been trying to figure out you can see the discussions here connecting virtual machines to desired vmnets

this was something I could not check and my environment changed.
            By environment change I mean I had internet access via wifi from my institute now I am 1500 kilometres away from my institute now  I access internet via ADSL router broadband connection.
            Configure vmware workstation so that virtual machine gets IP from wifi router communities.vmware.com/thread/618041 wifi router means access point which is at my institute and I get to login via captive portal to connect to internet and I have a limit of 3 devices to bring on in network in institute. One laptop one mobile phone and then if I try to connect 1 VM I am out of my options to run more VM which I need to run for educational purposes. I am having cloudera and Ubuntu VMs have to run Hadoop clusters but all fail to connect to internet because I need a lot of things which depend on internet in virtual machines.
            I was previously doing all this where I had wifi access by institute under a restricted environment.
            Right now at my location for next 21 days and I can have any kind of configuration tested on wifi or ethernet,
            because here no firewall or wifi restrictions are present. But when I will be back to institute then I have all kind of problems there. We have a Sophos firewall there and internet connectivity is there by Wi-Fi only no LAN wires at all. If VM does not connect to internet here in this scenario in NAT it wont work there in institute.
            Unfortunately the people there don't understand my problem and since I could not give assignments on time I have suffered a lot in my grades in assignments and projects which need these virtual machine each assignment I have is a new circus all together. ( I do not know a better word than circus please suggest if you know better word).If you think you have any answer for scenarios I mentioned in above links then do comment here I will check. I am facing a tough time.Any thing you ask me to test I will test.
            • 3. Re: internet not working in virtual machines problem set 1 of experiments
              andrewpilachowski Novice

Which version and build of Workstation are you on? That VMnet0 adapter showing Custom type is odd, not sure how you get a network like that. May try a reinstall or repair to make sure the configuration is clean.

• 4. Re: internet not working in virtual machines problem set 1 of experiments
                extrashot Enthusiast

someone had replied above by the time I refreshed they had deleted the comment but I could get what the persons doubt was so I am posting a screenshot of ip address of my guest virtual machine.

virtual machine ip .jpg

in the screenshot above if you notice the ip address of virtual machine is 192.168.152.128

the output of ipconfig is

Windows IP Configuration

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.152.128

and I again post a screenshot of virtual network editor

virtual network editor1.jpg

dhcp service is running on vmnet8 and the ip addresses it is broadcasting are in range 192.168.152.x

so this is working fine in my understanding.

ping to 8.8.8.8 is also happening from virtual machine.But if I open a link like https://www.msn.com/en-in/?ocid=wispr&pc=u477 in edge then that is not displayed.

• 5. Re: internet not working in virtual machines problem set 1 of experiments
                  extrashot Enthusiast

I am on

Workstation 15 Pro

15.1.0 build-13591040

as far as you ask about vmnet0 custom thing I had messed it up I have had problems so I kept on trying various configurations and now even I don't remember how I did that.

• 6. Re: internet not working in virtual machines problem set 1 of experiments
                    andrewpilachowski Novice

Change VMnet0 back to bridged and check the box to connect a host virtual adapter to to this network. Workstation may internally use this virtual adapter to know where to route NAT traffic out of the host (unsure), so disconnecting may essentially be removing any network access to VMs? I also read your other post about making sure the NAT traffic goes out a WiFi adapter. You could also select the VMnet0 "bridged to" to one of the WiFi adapters instead of automatic to make sure it is not trying to route traffic out a disconnected Ethernet on the host.

If you are licensed, you also should be able to upgrade to 15.5 (latest version released), in case there is a bug in your version.

• 7. Re: internet not working in virtual machines problem set 1 of experiments
                      extrashot Enthusiast

that box you mention to check out

check the box to connect a host virtual adapter to to this network.

is greyed out see the screenshot.

box is grayed out.jpg

I can not tick this box. Connect a host virtual adapter to this network.

You could also select the VMnet0 "bridged to" to one of the WiFi adapters instead of automatic to make sure it is not trying to route traffic out a disconnected Ethernet on the host.

yes this is what I was actually doing when I think I messed with vmnet0 custom thing and many other things I did a lot of screenshots I have a lot of screenshots.

I am on a poor internet connection where uploading 53 JPEG images (folder size 22.5 Mb) in google drive takes several hours.

• 8. Re: internet not working in virtual machines problem set 1 of experiments
                        a.p. Guru
                        vExpertCommunity WarriorsUser Moderators

ping to 8.8.8.8 is also happening from virtual machine.But if I open a link like https://www.msn.com/en-in/?ocid=wispr&pc=u477 in edge then that is not displayed.

This looks like a DNS resolution issue.

Please run ipconfig /all in the guest OS to find out whether the DNS server address is configured (which should actually be the case).

To test name resolutionrun e.g. nslookup www.vmware.com to see whether it resolves to an IP address.

André

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: internet not working in virtual machines problem set 1 of experiments
                          extrashot Enthusiast

on guest OS

Please run ipconfig /all in the guest OS to find out whether

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-FSBE94N
                             Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
                             Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
                             IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                             WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                             DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : localdomain

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connection
                             Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 71-2A-FB-0C-00-29
                             DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
                             Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
                             Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : ffff::fff:ffff:ffff:fff%12(Preferred)
                             IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.152.128(Preferred)
                             Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 07 December 2019 19:11:22
                             Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 07 December 2019 19:42:41
                             DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.152.254
                             DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 117443625
                             DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-25-08-EE-F2-00-0C-29-FB-2A-71
                             DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.152.2
                             Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.152.2
                             NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

To test name resolutionrun e.g. nslookup www.vmware.com to see whether it resolves to an IP address.

C:\Users\Debian>nslookup www.vmware.com
                          Server:  UnKnown
                          Address:  192.168.152.2

*** UnKnown can't find www.vmware.com: Query refused

Now what should be checked?

• 10. Re: internet not working in virtual machines problem set 1 of experiments
                            a.p. Guru
                            vExpertUser ModeratorsCommunity Warriors

Not sure what's blocking the DNS query. Maybe group policies/local restrictions on the host!?

Please open a command prompt in elevated mode (i.e. run "As Administrator"), then run the following commands, and post the output in your next reply.

ipconfig /flushdns

nslookup www.vmware.com

nslookup www.vmware.com 8.8.8.8

André

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: internet not working in virtual machines problem set 1 of experiments
                              extrashot Enthusiast

these commands should be run from guest OS or host OS

what I have now done is I read a document here kb.vmware.com/s/article/1008367 in point number 8 To restore the networking defaults, click Edit > Virtual Network Editor and then click Restore defaults. so I did restore defaults . Rebooted the virtual machines. Now every thing I am doing fresh.

After a reboot of all virtual machines and restoring default in virtual network editor

on the host machine I have following

C:\WINDOWS\system32>nslookup www.vmware.com
                                  Address:  109.169.85.7

but I can access the site in browser this is on host OS.

Every thing is working fine perfectly.

when I do ping from a VM to host I can ping and get reply.
                              ping from virtual machine to host os  is following

C:\Users\Debian>ping 192.168.1.14

Pinging 192.168.1.14 with 32 bytes of data:
                                  Reply from 192.168.1.14: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
                                  Reply from 192.168.1.14: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=128
                                  Reply from 192.168.1.14: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=128
                                  Reply from 192.168.1.14: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.14:
                                      Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
                                  Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
                                      Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 1ms

nslookup on  virtual machine

C:\Users\Debian>nslookup www.vmware.com
                                  Address:  192.168.136.2

the above is in Virtual machine.

the ip configurations at host OS

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.14
                                     Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1                                

IP configuration on virtual machine

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.136.128
                                     Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.136.2

the output of route print on virtual machine

===========================================================================
                                  Interface List
                                   12...00 0c 29 fb 2a 71 ......Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connection
                                    1...........................Software Loopback Interface 1

IPv4 Route Table
                                  Active Routes:
                                  Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
                                            0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0    192.168.136.2  192.168.136.128     25
                                          127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    331
                                          127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    331
                                    127.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    331
                                      192.168.136.0    255.255.255.0         On-link   192.168.136.128    281
                                    192.168.136.128  255.255.255.255         On-link   192.168.136.128    281
                                    192.168.136.255  255.255.255.255         On-link   192.168.136.128    281
                                          224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    331
                                          224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link   192.168.136.128    281
                                    255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    331
                                    255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link   192.168.136.128    281
                                  Persistent Routes:
                                    None

output of route print on host OS

Interface List
                                   25...18 60 24 13 ea a4 ......Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller #2
                                    2...00 50 56 c0 00 01 ......VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet1
                                   16...00 50 56 c0 00 08 ......VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet8
                                   12...0c b6 d2 cf 9e b1 ......D-Link DWA-131 Wireless N Nano USB Adapter(rev.E)
                                   14...f8 da 0c 50 44 91 ......Realtek RTL8723DE 802.11b/g/n PCIe Adapter
                                    1...........................Software Loopback Interface 1

IPv4 Route Table
                                  Active Routes:
                                  Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
                                            0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0      192.168.1.1     192.168.1.14     50
                                          127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    331
                                          127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    331
                                    127.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    331
                                        192.168.1.0    255.255.255.0         On-link      192.168.1.14    306
                                       192.168.1.14  255.255.255.255         On-link      192.168.1.14    306
                                      192.168.1.255  255.255.255.255         On-link      192.168.1.14    306
                                       192.168.56.0    255.255.255.0         On-link      192.168.56.1    291
                                       192.168.56.1  255.255.255.255         On-link      192.168.56.1    291
                                     192.168.56.255  255.255.255.255         On-link      192.168.56.1    291
                                      192.168.136.0    255.255.255.0         On-link     192.168.136.1    291
                                      192.168.136.1  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.136.1    291
                                    192.168.136.255  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.136.1    291
                                          224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    331
                                          224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link      192.168.1.14    306
                                          224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link      192.168.56.1    291
                                          224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link     192.168.136.1    291
                                    255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    331
                                    255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link      192.168.1.14    306
                                    255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link      192.168.56.1    291
                                    255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.136.1    291
                                  Persistent Routes:
                                    None

here is screenshot of virtual network editor on host machine
                              kd vne 2.jpg
                              and network adaptor configuration on virtual machine 
                              kd vm na1.jpg

since my virtual machines are not connected to internet and I am using NAT configuration in vmnet so I want to understand where is the problem in nslookup output.

now from virtual machine I executed your commands

C:\Windows\system32>nslookup www.vmware.com
                              Address:  192.168.136.2

C:\Windows\system32>nslookup www.vmware.com 8.8.8.8
                              DNS request timed out.
                                  timeout was 2 seconds.
                              Address:  8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
                              Name:    e751.dscx.akamaiedge.net
                              Addresses:  2600:140f:2c00:1a3::2ef
                                        2600:140f:2c00:18d::2ef
                              Aliases:  www.vmware.com
                                        www.vmware.com.ds.edgekey.net

here is a screenshot.

kd nslookup vm1.jpg

and from host os same nslookup commands

kd nslookup host os.jpg

if there is any guide on formatting posts give here link the code formatting here on forum

is a bit problematic in formatting.

• 12. Re: internet not working in virtual machines problem set 1 of experiments
                                a.p. Guru
                                Community WarriorsvExpertUser Moderators

C:\WINDOWS\system32>nslookup www.vmware.com

Address:  109.169.85.7

Since you are already getting this error on the host, you may want to check the IP settings on your network adapters.

It looks like the DNS server address is incorrect.

André

• 13. Re: internet not working in virtual machines problem set 1 of experiments
                                  extrashot Enthusiast

Output of ipconfig /all on host OS

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LAPTOP
                                     Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
                                     Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
                                     IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                                     WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                                     DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain.name

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller #2

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet1:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet1
                                     IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.56.1(Preferred)
                                     Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 08 December 2019 02:39:13
                                     Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 08 December 2019 03:09:12
                                     DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.56.254
                                     DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 33574998
                                     DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-20-E6
                                     DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                                                         fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                                                         fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet8:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet8
                                     IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.136.1(Preferred)
                                     Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 08 December 2019 02:39:16
                                     Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 08 December 2019 03:09:13
                                     DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.136.254
                                     DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 268456022
                                     DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-20-E6
                                     DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                                                         fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                                                         fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
                                     Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.136.2

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link DWA-131 Wireless N Nano USB Adapter(rev.E)
                                     IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.14(Preferred)
                                     Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 08 December 2019 02:42:58
                                     Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 09 December 2019 02:43:00
                                                                         192.168.1.1
                                     DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
                                     DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 353154770
                                     DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-20-E6-CF
                                     DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 109.169.85.7
                                                                         8.8.8.8

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8723DE 802.11b/g/n PCIe Adapter

Here is a screenshot of DNS settings on my WiFi adapter on which virtual machines should get internet and I am posting questions here

kd dns setting automatic on host.jpg

I do not have the expertise to understand what is the mistake in above configuration.

Every thing any website which I browse on host is  accessible and internet is working

fine on host OS with above configuration. Moreover the current environment where I am accessing

will change after one month when I go back to my place where I have to be for next 6 months.

There we get internet only via Wi-Fi so I have to share internet with virtual machines in NAT only.

But any how that is not a part of this question. I just want internet to be available to virtual machines

in current scenario. What should I look more to debug the problems that I am not able to understand.

• 14. Re: internet not working in virtual machines problem set 1 of experiments
                                    a.p. Guru
                                    User ModeratorsCommunity WarriorsvExpert

The issue is most likely not caused by the guest, nor the host, but by the settings in your WiFi router, i.e. the device with the DHCP server. The DNS settings there seem to be incorrect.

André

1 2 Previous Next