1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 8, 2019 7:12 PM by hahakiki2010

Unity: Workstation Pro 15 - unable to start & desktop goes black/unresponsive

joejr Novice

Hi.

I can't successfully start Unity mode on my Workstation Pro 15 or VM Player 15.

When I try to go into Unity Mode, I get an error:

The virtual machine cannot enter Unity mode.  Check that Unity is supported for this guest operating system and that the latest version of VM Tools is installed.

Once I get this error message, the desktop goes black and the only thing I can do is to select "restart Guest".

I've tried:

• removing VMware tools and reinstalling.
      • Repairing VMware tools
      • Verified that the Virtual Machine Settings | Options | Unity menu has all checkboxes checked.
      • Rebooting the Host OS
      • Rebooting the Guest OS

I'm running a Windows Pro 10 Guest (created in VM workstation pro 12 and upgraded to VM workstation pro 15) on a system with three monitors.  I'm trying to get the unity to work on one of the external, Displayport connected 1080p Dell monitors.

Help!!!

• 1. Re: Unity: Workstation Pro 15 - unable to start & desktop goes black/unresponsive
          hahakiki2010 Novice

If below error reported, the problem is mostly in vmtools.

Could u add following options in your vmx config file and attach the log after rerun?

guestInfo.svga.wddm.miniportLogging="TRUE”
          guestInfo.loglevel.vm3d.miniport=”10”
          guestInfo.loglevel.vm3d.vidpn=”10”
          guestInfo.svga.wddm.usermodeLogging="TRUE”
          guestInfo.loglevel.vm3d.devapi=“10”
          guestInfo.loglevel.vm3d.service=“10”

Pls let me know the folder name when you uploaded the log file. Thanks

VMware ftp site:

FTP Server: ftpsite.vmware.com

User:   inbound

Pwd:    inbound

Port:   21

BTW, may I know your VM HW version? If possible, could u change the HW version to HW 16 then have a try? Thanks.