VMware Cloud Community
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Vsphere/vCenter License

Hello experts,

Need your quick help for below solution:

I would like to establish a new solution to my existing data centers. The solution should house geo redundant cluster in active-active configuration. At the primary site, the cluster contains 30

servers with 4CPU / 16C / 32T.

The cluster will only contain systems / applications that should be available internally via my own IP network.

All servers will use Vmware as a hypervisor with vMotion enabled and Windows server 2016 Data center.

In the cluster, the following software will be available:

• Vmware
  • ESXi
  • vCenter
  • Windows server 2016 DC
  • SQL server
  • Sharepoint 2016
  • Exchange 2013
  • Veeam Availability Suite Enterprise

The environment should contain 50 virtual servers, including 10 SQL servers, 20 Sharepoint servers, 5 Exchange servers, 1 AD, 1 vCenter and 1 Veeam.

All servers must allow administrator access via RDS.

Query:

1. How do I best license this data center (Agreements and Products)?
  2. What licenses are needed?
  3. Is there anything I should think about?
  4. There are changes in the design of clusters that may allow me to be lower licensing cost for the solution without major impact on performance?

Regards

PK

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Here’s how vSphere licensing works: https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-vsphere-vs...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I would suggest discussing with a VMware/Microsoft/Veeam reseller - they should be able to advise on the specifics of what you need based on your requirements.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Scott,

That's right, however, any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Here’s how vSphere licensing works: https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-vsphere-vs...

0 Kudos