VMware Cloud Community
EecITSupport
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading vCenter 6.5 Windows server with Horizon View Composer co-installed to 6.7

Found a lot of information on upgrading vCenter 6.5 to 6.7, however, nothing on vCenter and View Composer are running on the same server.

Also, it's my understanding that VMware is moving away from Windows but 6.7U3a offers Windows as download option.  Would it be easier in my case to just stay with the Windows platform and not move to VCSA?  Pro v Con on Windows and VCSA?

3 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

vCenter on Windows is a dead end. The 6.7 is the last version for windows.  Upgrade now or next year.... your choice.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
nirmalgnair
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

As you mentioned VMware is moving away from Windows platform. As per your update, View is also installed on the same machine as the vCenter, so you will not be able to migrate the vCenter as the source Windows vCenter will be powered off as part of the process.

So I would suggest you to work on moving the View component outside the vCenter machine and migrate the vCenter to VCSA.

VCSA Pros :

No need for extra MS licenses.

The embedded PostgreSQL database is sufficiently scalable and robust to cater for most environments; 1000 hosts and 10000 VMs.

Easy to deploy and all the major configurations are only available with VCSA.

Regards,

Nirmal Nair

vSphere Install-Upgrade Support

sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Don't bother with the windows vcenter, and I'd look at your needs as well for the view composer and linked clones are depreciated as of horizon 7.10 I beleive. Almost anything you can do with linked clones can be done with instant clones now.

0 Kudos