VMware Cloud Community
JGillATN
Contributor
Contributor

vmk0 and port group setup with routed based on physical NIC load

My vmk0 (management) which inherits the MAC of a host is attached to a VDS port group that is configured to routed based on physical NIC load.   A number of our vSphere nodes, though not all within a cluster size of 17, are seeing intermittent connectivity/mac flapping between two uplinks.... regardless of the workload on the sever.   It appears that vmk0 is impacted, I am not seeing the same issuers on VMs on the same port group/host, but we haven't run analysis beyond a few hours given that the issue in observation was not occurring.   I changed the port group to failover by explicit order and the issue disappeared, however I slipped the active/standby NIC and at some scale the issues returned.   Any suggestions as to the next steps to diagnose this problem?  Could this be a known issuer with respect to vmk0 and a port group on a distributed vSwitch that is configured to route based on physical NIC load? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to vSphere vNetwork

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
JGillATN
Contributor
Contributor

I have configured the port group where the management interfaces (vmk0) are attached to use explicit failover order and removed all but one interface.  No issues so far, I will flip the active interface every 8-10 hours and resume monitoring.  If vmk0 is taking the MAC of the first pNIC, could that be related to this behavior? 

0 Kudos