3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2019 1:25 AM by bobbyccie

Nested NSX-V 6.4.6 lab - controller VMs failing to boot (Photon OS boot screen followed by black screen)

bobbyccie Novice

Hi all,

I am in the process of building an NSX-V home lab (based on ESXi 6.7U3 + vCenter 6.7U3a + NSX 6.4.6). Everything is running on a single bare metal server (Intel i7, 32GB RAM) with EVE-NG as the underlying hypervisor (as per: https://www.eve-ng.net/index.php/documentation/howtos/ - see VMware ESXi/vCenter/NSX links for details).

Everything works fine regarding the nested ESXi hosts, vCenter, and initial NSX manager deployment. I have VMs running fine on the nested ESXi hosts with Distributed vSwitches etc.

But I hit problems when deploying the NSX controller VMs. It basically just sits at “Deploying” and eventually the controller VM gets deleted.

I think I have enough resources allocated to the nested ESXi host where the NSX controller is getting deployed to (4 vCPU, 8 GB RAM). I briefly see the Photon OS boot screen on the console of the controller VM but then it changes to black with no response on the keyboard.

Any hints on why a controller VM would fail to boot? Screenshots attached.

Thanks,

Bob

Stays on "Deploying":

Screenshot 2019-11-29 at 20.48.51.png

Controller VM gets deployed but fails to fully boot. After the Photon  screen all I see is black with no response on the keyboard. VM gets deleted after ~10 minutes:

Screenshot 2019-11-29 at 20.48.12.png