VMware Communities
Hedgehog2
Contributor
Contributor

A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter the shutdown state.

Hi,

my virtual machine crashes with the following error message:

VMError.png

This has been happening since about May 2019, either since the update of Windows 10 from 1809 to 1903 or any update after that. Possibly also after the update of the VMWareTools. It happens about once or twice a week, mostly about two minutes after the first start of the virtual machine, when I start Visual Studio 2017. In September it also happened several times. Once it happened about 20 minutes after the start of the virtual machine. Another time it happened when rebooting the VM, after I had previously updated VS 2017 inside the VM. If it happens, it only happens once a day. I can reboot the VM and then use the VM normally for the rest of the day. In the task manager of the host system you can see that all logical cores are used. The entry featMask.vm.cpuid.PCID="Max:0" in the vmx file did not help.

There are no matching crash time entries in the Event Viewer, not on the host, and not in the VM.

Host:
Notebook Sony VAIO
Windows 8.1 Home x64
8 GB RAM
i7-3632QM 4 Cores, 8 logical processors
> 100 GB free space on SSD drive C: where the VM is.
VMWare Workstation Player 15.5.1-15018445

VM:
Windows 10 Pro 1909 x64
4 GB RAM
4 processors
'Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI' enabled
> 100 GB free space on drive C:
VMWare Tools 11.0.0.14549434

What seems strange to me is that in the registry of the host the entry 'FeatureSet' has an invalid value according to Windows.

RegProc.png

Are there any log files I can check?

Best Regards,
Heiko

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Did you just upgrade, according to the below link, windows 8 isn't listed a supported os for 15.5

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
Hedgehog2
Contributor
Contributor

Version 15.5 is supported for Windows 8.1 Update 3.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2129859?lang=en_US

Of course I have the latest updates for Windows 8.1.

What does VMWare call *Update 3* ?

I can only find an Update 3 for Windows 8.1 RT.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

First I don't work for vmware, and I agree I have no idea what update 3 was. I was just thinking since windows 8 main support ended last year, I would have thought they wouldn't list it as supported, I didn't even see the update 3 one.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Can you share the vmware.log, maybe something in there will see why its crashing.

0 Kudos
Hedgehog2
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 8.1 is supported 3 years longer than Windows 7.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

The log files are large. Unfortunately I can't remember which day the problem occurred. I think I wait until it happens again and then send the current log file.

0 Kudos
Hedgehog2
Contributor
Contributor

Now it's happened again. This time only after about 1:43 h. I just worked in the VM with Visual Studio 2017. In the log file a triple fault is reported in line 3454, but nothing more precise.

If you want, you can have a look at https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnJkahC5qjfidp--eOo403CQBWo?e=qLMDNW

I'd say it currently happens about once a week.

0 Kudos