VMware Horizon Community
LukaszDziwisz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Windows 10 Search not working with UEM only

Hello Everyone,

Is there some type of trick for WIndows Search to work. We are currently using AppVolumes Writable profile only that captures AppData only and whenever user gets logged in for the first time and Writable gets created WIndows Search doesn't work until user logs off and logs back in. Then after all it works just fine.

Now, I started working on getting UEM and capturing user data that way as it appears to be more  robust and allow us to roam easier between Horizon PODs. Thus my questions is what do I need to do to make Windows Search to work. So far every time I log in Windows Search doesn't work at all although service is running. We don't use Mandatory profiles as I read somewhere that at this point benefits  don't justify the hassle. Our WIndows 10 1809 LTSC image is domain joined but all the apps are setup using local admin account. I'm already getting Explorer settings, taskbar, pinned items, recent items, wallpaper and couple of aps configured and so far it works well. Just moving slowly so that I don't capture too much of unnecessary stuff and cause logon times to be increased.

Any help would be much appreciated

0 Kudos
8 Replies
LukaszDziwisz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Anyone might have any idea how to get search working on non-persistent machine?

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes.  You can use Microsoft's FSLogix to get search working.  That's the only way that I know of right now.

And it works very well, actually changes the "feel" of the desktop due to the proper indexing.  You don't have to use their Profile containers if you use a different solution, just the O365 containers.

But, it's still a pain and takes additional NAS space for the VHDs, which can be pretty large.

Search

LukaszDziwisz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So are you saying that UEM would be unable to do the same stuff? Is everyone doing it that way to have the ability to use search in Windows 10?

Shouldn't UEM be able to achieve the same thing?  All I'm after is to get Windows Search to work in non-persistent desktop and use UEM to persist user configs. All other data like Pictures/Desktop/Documents we are redirecting to the file server.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

UEM's only solution requires the use of an writeable volume from appvolumes. Thats because you can't redirect the search indexes, look at the guide below, the most you can do is turn it on without fslogix or appvolumes, but when they logout the index process starts again.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/59016-change-search-index-location-windows-10-a.html

JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Also, if you use VMware's Optimization tool (fling) it will disable Windows Search. 

Fun Tip:   If Windows Search was disabled when you installed O365...you have to Uninstall/Re-Install O365 in order for it to use Windows Search again. i.e. Outlook will be a mess without search.

That cost me two days of troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
LukaszDziwisz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@John,

Thank you for the information but I think I might have mislead the information. We are on WIndows 10 1809 with Office 2016. Windows Search service was not disabled with Optimization tool. Currently we are using Writable VOlume profile only that captures Appdata . When user logs in for the first time that writable volume gets created. At this point Windows search is not working at all, service is running but once user logs off and logs back in then it works fine. So to me writable is persisting whatever needs to be persisted for search to work properly. Since I'm working on moving away from writable and use UEM only I'm trying to figure out what is it that UEM needs to persist (export/import) for a user to have search working for them

I hope it makes sense

0 Kudos
LukaszDziwisz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

sjesse​,

Thank you. Did anyone try to chnage the default directory where the index is stored to users AppData and then capture it with UEM and restore at each logon? It only says that" You will not be able to select to use removable media, network, or external locations as the index location."   

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Not that I've seen, the problem is I think there are permissions that come into play, try and go to the Data folder on a physical win 10 machine. I can't even open mine with full admin writes, you probably need logon as SYSTEM, and I don't think UEM currently can work with those at the SYSTEM level. The other thing is the size, was able to get in through the command line since explorer was rejecting me. My folder is atleast 3.5gb, that will add a bunch of time to the logon, which I know most users wouldn't accept.

pastedImage_0.png