VMware Communities
Frank616
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Win10.0.16299 on Linux host - "Display Driver failed to start..." How to fix?

Tried to update my Win10 Home virtual machine to 1903 (it had been running 1809).  Got most of the way through it, but it finally choked with video driver issues and it will no longer start.  I went back to an older saved copy of the VM, Windows 10.0.16299 that was 'clean' and working when I saved it.  However, now I am getting the above error message when I open it, along with a note that it is using the MS basic driver, and that I should update the driver.  Win10 16299 opens and runs, but in a tiny little box on my 4K screen, and I see no way to expand it.

I am using Workstation Player 15.5.1, and just installed the latest tools for this VM as well.  Does this not install the latest video driver for the VM?

Host OS is Linux Mint 19.1 XFCE running on a Dell Precision 7720 and I am using the Nvidia 390.116 driver.

How can I get this to run in a much larger window again?  Once I get that fixed, then I'll try to update this older saved VM up to 1903.

I own licenses for VMWare 6, 7 and 8 (full versions), but I let them lapse as I just don't use a VM that much anymore.

Thanks.

Frank.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Frank616
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, after days of trawling the web and fussing with the VM, even recreating one, I have found the problem:

Turn off 3D video acceleration on the main window of VMWare Player, right panel, upper check box.

No idea why this works, but it did.

Frank.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Frank616
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, after days of trawling the web and fussing with the VM, even recreating one, I have found the problem:

Turn off 3D video acceleration on the main window of VMWare Player, right panel, upper check box.

No idea why this works, but it did.

Frank.

0 Kudos
ScottM1001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for this info, but I wish VMWare would actually fix the problem.  I don't want to turn off 3d acceleration.

For me, the issue is with resolution.  If I try to start a VM at 4K, the display driver fails to start every time.  If the window is somewhat smaller, it works.  I've tried updating the settings for max screen resolution, but it doesn't work.

The problem for me started with VMWare 15.5.1, which I just recently upgraded to.  This all worked with earlier versions of VMWare 15.  When I went back to 15.0.2, removed the new tools and installed the older tools, it worked just fine.

Thanks

Scott

0 Kudos