VMware Communities
Mongo424242
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Trial Version of Workstation on same host as Licenced?

Hi all,

Well, it looks as if the kind folks at Ubuntu have no intention of fixing whatever they broke with regards to Workstation Pro 12.5.7 when the kernel passed version 4.13.  I am now looking at upgrading to Workstation Pro 15.5, but want to check that all of my virtual machines will work before uninstalling version 12 (they all work perfectly, and I'm always hesitant to fix what ain't broke).  To that end, it is possible to install the trial version of 15.5 independent of my licensed version 12?  Thanks!

Mongo

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Mongo,

Sorry that you can't use two WS versions. You can either use WS pro 12.5.7 or WS pro 15.5 at the same host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Mongo,

Sorry that you can't use two WS versions. You can either use WS pro 12.5.7 or WS pro 15.5 at the same host.

0 Kudos
Mongo424242
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Shazzbot.  I thought as much.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Caveat - as long as you don't modify your guests while running the v15 trial (i.e. don't upgrade the virtual hardware or VMware Tools), you can still safely uninstall the v15 trial and re-install (and re-license) your v12 Workstation.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> You can either use WS pro 12.5.7 or WS pro 15.5 at the same host.

That is not really the complete story - you can actually use both versions side by side if a reboot is an option.

But setting it up is not trivial

0 Kudos