VMware Horizon Community
MrCheesecake
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

New Firefox ESR 68.x, Flash and the Horizon Console

First, I have to admit that the "Newadmin" HTML5 console has come a long way and I'll probably end up using it.  However, I'm having issues rendering the "admin" (aka Flash) console after upgrading to Firefox ESR 68.2.0.  I'm using the same version of Flash (32.0.0.270) as I did with my old Firefox ESR 60.9.0 but when I try to bring up the admin console, I just get a gray screen.

All the options to enable/allow Flash are good and I've tried toggling the box to block/unlock "dangerous" content within the Plugin options.  Similarly, if I log into the Flex interface for vCenter (far less common as I prefer the HTML5!), I get an error and that doesn't load either.

Has anyone else run into this?  I'll keep experimenting and tweaking settings and keep everyone posted if not.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MrCheesecake
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found the culprit!

The default "sandbox" security level for the Flash plugin has increased between versions of Firefox:

(In about:config)

dom.ipc.plugins.sandbox-level.flash

New default level = 3

Previous default level = 2

Changing the value back to 2 seems to fix the behavior in both View and vCenter.  What's even better is that UEM (Sorry, DEM) is picking up the change so it persists between sessions.  I'm still looking forward to the official death of Flash next year but am happy to keep old-school folks and interfaces functioning normally.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
NxN_Slite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

its a known problem.

its called CheckOrigin

it is cause by the URL you use for the Connection server is not the real name of the host.

example. view.domain.com/admin  redirect to vdics01.domain.com/admin

VMware Knowledge Base

1. For each connection server create a text file named locked.properties in C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\sslgateway\conf.
  2. Open the locked.properties file using a plain text editor.
  3. Add this line:

checkOrigin=false

Note: Ensure the locked.properties file is not in .txt extension after saving.
  4. Save and close the file.
  5. Restart the VMware Horizon View Connection Server service.
0 Kudos
MrCheesecake
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the idea but that didn't work.  We're able to access our 7.10 console from the previous iterations of Firefox without any issues- and we typically do so via FQDN versus IP or localhost.

0 Kudos
NxN_Slite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I might get your point wrong but.

its exactly for that case that this is useful...

your trying to call... view.domain.com/admin witch will be redirected to (not URL but physically) to ConnectionServer01.domain.com and ConnectionServer02.domain.com

the Flash is doing the denied (gray screen) cause it detect a redirection.

Unless you call the servername directly w/out that settings you'll aways get that gray screen

Im sorry if its still not clear or if I got your point wrong.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You assuming he is going to the LB address, I don't see an reference to that so far. Also going from one ESR version to another causing this, I highly doubt its a lb issue anyway, it would have been the all along. With flash set to be end of life in a year, I doubt much will be done, but I'd open an SR and see what support thinks.

0 Kudos
MrCheesecake
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found the culprit!

The default "sandbox" security level for the Flash plugin has increased between versions of Firefox:

(In about:config)

dom.ipc.plugins.sandbox-level.flash

New default level = 3

Previous default level = 2

Changing the value back to 2 seems to fix the behavior in both View and vCenter.  What's even better is that UEM (Sorry, DEM) is picking up the change so it persists between sessions.  I'm still looking forward to the official death of Flash next year but am happy to keep old-school folks and interfaces functioning normally.