VMware Cloud Community
vmk2014
Expert
Expert

upgrade path from vCenter 5.0 to 5.5 or 6.5

Hi All,

I have a vcenter 5.0 based on windows 2008 and there is a requirement to upgrade 5.0 to 5.5.. Can we upgrade directly to 6.0 or 6.5 ?

Hardware Dell Power edge R900 & R720

Any insight into this will be much appreciated.

Thanks

vmk

7 Replies
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Your upgrade path can be found here:

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

Then go to: VMware Product Interoperability Matrices and see the Upgrade Path tab.

You can now search for vCenter and you'll see that from 5.0u3 you can go to maximum 6.0.0 U2. And from there you can go to maximum 6.7U3.

Be sure to also watch for the ESXi level because according to the "Interoperability tab" your 5.0U3 ESXi hosts, can be managed by maximum vCenter 6.0.0 U2. Then you can also move forward to 6.7U3.

So in steps:

1) Upgrade vCenter 5.0 to 6.0u2

2) Upgrade ESXi hosts from 5.0 to 6.0u2

3) Upgrade vCenter 6.0u2 to 6.7u3

4) Upgrade ESXi hosts from 6.0u2 to 6.7u3

Of course if 6.5 is your destination you can move to 6.5.

For your hardware, you can also check the same URL and see to what version they are supported. Be sure to always download the correct drivers and firmware to match each fase of the upgrade. Don't forget to check what others products are dependend on the vCenter / ESXi version. Maybe your backup product?

And if possible, move to the virtual appliance of vCenter a.s.a.p. it makes life much easier.

http://www.GabesVirtualWorld.com
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Gabrie​ is absolutly right.  We bought our R900 in 2008 (discomissioned years ago) and when checking the HCL you wil see that they are supportet up to ESXi 5.5,  The 5.5 can be manged by vCenter 6.5 but not for 6.7.

vSphere 5.5 runs out of support in 10/2018

vSphere 6.0 runs out of support in 3/2020

Your R900 runs out of support ages ago

... but its a production environment right? Smiley Wink

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert

Gabrie,

First of all like to say thank you. I didn't able to search in System/Servers for upgrade path for v Center 5.0 and host ESX5.0

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

Thanks

vmk

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

Respect !

you havent update your environment for the last 7 years ? hope it is not production

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert

Yes, its production and critical application running on the VM. The reason they didnt updated due to migration plan to Cloud.

Thanks

vmk

0 Kudos
vmk2014
Expert
Expert

What about Dell power edge R720 ? Does it  supports 5.5 update 3?

thanks

vmk

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can check here: VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos