VMware Cloud Community
scott0642
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Permissions for Students

Hello everyone,

I'm new here so I hope this is the correct place for this question...  We've recently installed an ESXi Server, and connected to a SAN for our students to learn how to create their own cloud infrastructure.  I'm looking for the right permission set for them - they need to be able to explore (read-only) the interface, and create and run their own VM's.  I'd rather them not see anyone else's VM (or at least not be able to modify them).

We're using ESXi v6.7.0 update 3.

I've been playing with a bunch of different permission configurations, but can't quite seem to find the right config.  I've come close a couple times, but not 100%.  Any help would be appreciated! Smiley Happy

Thank you,

Scott

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gidrakos
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hey Scott, check my post out about this because I banged my head on it for a while also Smiley Happy

VCSA 6.7 Individual Resource Pool Permissions No Longer Work

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

seems that you have a standalone esxi ?

you should create a role and test which permissions are needed/wante, for example: VMware Knowledge Base

better you create resource pools (you cant create folders in standalone hosts), then you can assign the role to the resource pool. every new vm in this resource pool inherits the permissions

0 Kudos
scott0642
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info folks...  However, I can't create resource pools as this is a standalone ESXi install as berndweyand  suspected.

I think what I'll need to do instead is setup permissions for students on everything, then go back and remove the permission on individual items that I don't want them to access.  A pain, but seems to be the only way. 

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

i´m sorry - just seen that creating a ressourcepool is no longer available 😞

but without vcenter you have limited functionality

0 Kudos