VMware Cloud Community
AntoJ
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to deploy large OVAs (with 8 or more VMs) over vCenter using OVFTool

I have an OVA which when successfully deployed, comes up with 8 VMs.
I am able to deploy the OVA using vCenter web UI without any issues.
However, when I try and deploy the same OVA using OVFTool, across the exact same cluster using the same networks,
it just remains hung and gets timed out.
Here is the command I use for deployment using OVFTool:

ovftool --overwrite --powerOffTarget --acceptAllEulas --allowExtraConfig -ds=vsanDatastore -n=sros-testmvmgvmware02 --net:"net00"="NET0" --net:"net10"="NET1" --net:"net20"="Test" --net:"net30"="Test" --net:"net31"="Test" --net:"net32"="Test" /home/mvmgvmware02/ovfTemp/sros_vm.ova "vi://administrator@vsphere.local:p@ssW0rd@<IP OF VCENTER>/Comp-Datacenter/host/mvmgvmware02"

and here is the output:
Opening OVA source: /home/mvmgvmware02/ovfTemp/sros_vm.ova
The manifest validates
Opening VI target: vi://administrator%40vsphere.local@<IP>:443/Comp-Datacenter/host/mvmgvmware02
Deploying to VI: vi://administrator%40vsphere.local@<IP>:443/Comp-Datacenter/host/mvmgvmware02

it is stuck at this point.

OVFtool version used: VMware ovftool 4.3.0 (build-10104578)

I am running the OVFtool from a linux server, the version of which is: CentOS release 6.4 

The worse part is that the task of vApp deployment is stuck at 0% and the vApp is in a ghost state. The only way to do any operations, including deleting the entry of vApp in vCenter is to restart the vCenter services. 

Till now I have been using an OVA with 6 VMs, however, in this OVA I have 8 VMs.
Any idea as to why scaling this up by just 2 VMs is causing this problem and that too specifically with the OVFtool as such.

I have tried this with both vCenter 6.5 and 6.7 and the behavior is exactly the same. Is there any limitation on the number of VMs that can be deployed using OVFtool?

Has anyone else faced a similar issue. Any input with regards to this would be much appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Antony

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dgold
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is very difficult if not impossible for anyone to answer this without any ovftool logs or any vc/esx support bundles or any ovf/ova, or any snippets from those logs.  need to figure out if you do want to share some of that mentioned and find a way to do it.  I honestly don't know how to share files on this forum. if you are willing to and if you can't figure out we can find a moderator or something to say how.
0 Kudos
AntoJ
Contributor
Contributor

I see an option to upload files as part of the response to the reply. 

I can definietly share the log files from vCenter as well as ovftool. Could you please share the commands I would need to run in order to collect the logs.

0 Kudos