VMware Communities
SeanFlan
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade to from Fusion 11.5.0 to 11.5.1 now mouse issues on 2nd monitor

I have been using VMWare fusion to run various Windows virtual machines for years without any significant trouble.  After this recent update, the mouse pointer is now off by about 30 pixels vertically, but only when using a 2nd monitor (A 4K one).  If I drag the window back to the primary display, the mouse cursor is accurate.  If I drag it back to the secondary monitor, same error.  If I go  to full screen mode on the 2nd monitor, same problem.    I have this problem with all my Windows 7 VMs.  These are VMs that have been working well for years.  I have not tried any Windows other versions of Windows.   I am forced to work in the cramped space of the primary display on my Mac.   I am running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 on a 2016 15 inch MacBook Pro.

I have tried re-booting as well as re-loading the VMWare tools.  I have also tried an external mouse.  Nothing helps.

Can anybody out there provide a work-around for this problem?

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Did you upgrade the virtual hardware?

Also, are you launching the VM on the second window, or dragging it there from the main screen?

0 Kudos
642_887
Contributor
Contributor

Why do I always regret upgrading?

Upgraded this morning and have the same issue with multiple linux VM's although it doesn't make a difference if I am using an external monitor of the macbook pro monitor.

Tried to upgrade one of the VM's to the latest hardware version and that makes no difference.

This is extremely frustrating, I was hoping to get some work done. How does something this basic get messed up?

0 Kudos
SeanFlan
Contributor
Contributor

I did update the VMWare tools as well as the hardware version to the latest.  No difference.

I ended up uninstalling 11.5.1 and re-installed the previous version 11.5.0 and I am back in business. 

I will wait for the next update now.

0 Kudos
Thomas_McKane
Contributor
Contributor

I have this exact same issue with my single MacBook monitor in my Windows VM.  After 11.5.1 the cursor on most apps is off and above what I'm needing to click.

This is a show stopper and must be fixed VMWARE.  Can we please get some feedback???

0 Kudos
FoxtrotIndia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also have issues with the cursor on my Windows machines. This is for a virtual machine that uses 1x resolution, and is then scaled to the builtin retina monitor on my MacBook. For me, it seems to  depend on the cursor in use. A standard mouse cursor is accurate, having it change to another shape, like a resizer, it suddenly jumps about a cursor size to the left and up. Really irritating, and should be fixed soon.

My suspicion is that Fusion generates does something with the cursor handling, and that during that translation the anchor point is wrongly placed, and so the cursor shown at the wrong position.

0 Kudos
FoxtrotIndia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have now done some additional testing, and the cursor issues are clearly related to Retina scaling.

When I set the external monitor to 2x resolution, and the virtual machine to "Use full resolution for Retina Display", I see also the 20 to 30 pixel offset between cursor and point on the display.

Setting the external monitor to use 1x resolution, and my cursor problems disappear.

0 Kudos
objectcentral
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Okay, here it is almost February, and they've not fixed this!

Due to Catalina, I'm trying to get a Mojave host Mojave guest for some old apps I still want to use. I want to upgrade my Mac to Catalina, but need to get the Mojave guest working first, so I've not checked if this is a Catalina:Mojave issue.

I have a iMac 27" Retina with 5120x2880 resolution. No matter what settings I use, I can't get the cursor to position correctly: itseems off by the previously mentioned 30 or so pixels vertically, and I also think there is an offset horizontally.

I have a second monitor (1920x1200) that gets the cursor correctly. I can drag the guest's window back and forth between the monitors - it works on the external monitor, fails on the big Retina.

I've not tried to disconnect the external monitor, but I'm assuming the issue is totally Retina related and not 2nd monitor related.

Just posting to poke VMWare, and to perhaps provide more info.

0 Kudos