VMware Cloud Community
TangyTangerine
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter Converter Standalone 6.2.0 missing useSudo flag

Greetings,

VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Standalone 6.2.0 software requires modification of the converter-agent.xml file in order to convert Ubuntu VMs as seen here on the KB1008164:

VMware Knowledge Base

My question and issue is that this same software that I have installed, there is no such useSudo flag at all on my converter-agent.xml file, and I have recently installed the program, no one else has modified the file, is the knowledge base file outdated? What am I missing? I am kindly requesting assistance. Thank you.

Best,

TT

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TangyTangerine
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I shut down the vm and made a clone offline that way with the converter. That seemed to do it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hello TT,

The configuration is present in the converter-worker.xml and is set to auto. Can you just change this and let us know if it works?

-->

<useSudo>auto</useSudo>

<!--

-Supreet

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Moved to Converter Standalone

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
TangyTangerine
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After editing the worker file, and changing it to false, i received the same error:

Unable to query the live Linux source machine. Make sure that you can run sudo without entering a password when logged in to the source machine over SHH as 'administrator'.

I also tried changing it to true if it would work that way but I received the same issue.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The useSudo flag is located in converter-worker.xml not in the converter-agent.xml, also it is present so search it before change.

If you installed only agent, then you'll need to install other part of Converter, preferably full Converter.

HTH

0 Kudos
TangyTangerine
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello POCEH,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, there is a useSudo flag on converter-worker.xml, by default it's on auto. I had it set to true, no success I had it set to false, and no success, as stated on my previous post.

Should I be concerned that the flag is missing on converter-agent.xml?

When I installed the software it comes with the converter-agent.xml, converter-server.xml, and converter-worker.xml, plus additional folders.

Could you clarify on installing other parts of converter? Am I missing additional software in order to clone a Ubuntu VM?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Did you restart worker service after changing the flag? Changing settings in the config xml take effect after restarting the respective service.

TangyTangerine
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I shut down the vm and made a clone offline that way with the converter. That seemed to do it.

0 Kudos