VMware Cloud Community
Apacheone
Contributor
Contributor

Mount USB Hard Drive

I have a standalone ESXi 6.7 server which is running the free edition.

Trying to just plugin a USB hard drive to copy vm's from drive to host and vice versa.

I have read on-line about stopping the usbarbitrator service which I have done and then plugged in the drive.

From what I have read the drive should be mounted and an entry appears in /vmfs/volumes but I'm not seeing anything.

I can see in /dev/disks new entries appear for the usb drive.

How can I mount the drive so I can access the storage on the drive either by shell or WinSCP?

The Mount command doesn't appear to be included in 6.7.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to ESXi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In order to copy files to a datastore, attach the USB drive to your local PC, and upload the folder/files from either the vSphere Client's UI, or using WinSCP (which requires that you enable SSH on the host).

As a side not, instead of copying the files manually, you may instead use e.g. the export/import from/to OVF from the UI.

André

0 Kudos