VMware Communities
XDAndy
Contributor
Contributor

MacOS Catalina as guest OS on MacPro5.1 running MacOS High Sierra

Dear Community,

hoping someone might be able to help answer this.

I have dual processor 8 core mid 2010 MacPro running High Sierra.

It has a metal capable GPU (Nvidia 750Ti), but this is unsupported by NVIDIA web drivers on Mojave, as things stand.

It occurs to me that if my MacPro runs Fusion 11 and fusion 11 is comparable with Catalina as a guest OS, so anyone got this working?

many thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

It will probably work, but remember OSX guests don't have 3d acceleration, so a lot of apps don't function properly.

0 Kudos
XDAndy
Contributor
Contributor

But .... the fusion info things says

Powerful Graphics

Fusion can drive complex, GPU intensive applications and games with an improved hardware accelerated 3D graphics engine leveraging Apple Metal graphics technology. By providing DirectX 10.1 and OpenGL 3.3 capabilities to Windows and Linux virtual machines and now allowing for up to 3GB of vRAM per-VM, Fusion leads the way in virtual machine graphics performance and accuracy.

the Reason for asking is that Another info page suggests Mojave’s and Catalina can only be installed if they have compatible gfx cards.

now the card I have is metal capable, but not officially supported in OS X.

so where does that leave me?

kind regads

andy

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

It's a limitation for OSX guests - none of the virtualization products have 3d acceleration because the guest OS doesn't have API's that can be leveraged to support it.

You can install Catalina in a guest, but it won't have the 3D acceleration as a result (that's true by the way, on any mac hardware).

In your case, the question is will Fusion 11.5 run on an unsupported graphics card on the host at all, and that I don't know.  There's a free trial so the best option is to give it a go and see if it works.

0 Kudos