VMware Cloud Community
dspeight
Contributor
Contributor

Question to localaccounts on VCSA

Hia

I'm trying to create a local account on the VCSA that is able to run 'service-control --status' in the bash shell. While trying to do this I've come accross a few things I cant really explain.

1. I can create users without any problem using "localaccounts.user.add --username x --role y -- password" but I cant edit or delete them without getting an error that the user is not recognized.

- localaccounts.user.list only lists the root user. Didn't change after setting the bash shell as default for my custom user.

- I can see all the users I created in my VCSA Web Interface, but I cant edit or delete useres here.

2. None of the given roles, even superAdmin, seems to have the permissions to run service-control. Do I need a root shell to run those commands?

I'm clearly missing something, overread something.. hoping you can point me in the right direction. I'm running a VCSA V6.7 U3 Build 14367737.

Regards

David

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KocPawel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I checked docs and tested on my lab. It works.

Create local user:

Create a Local User Account in the vCenter Server Appliance

Roles:

User Roles in the vCenter Server Appliance

As you can see only superAdmin can log and use shell.

Commands from my lab:

localaccounts.user.add --role superAdmin --username blanket --password --fullname Pblanket --email p@blanket.p

And I am able to SSH to VCSA.

You need to do that to be able to have shell access:

shell.set --enabled true

0 Kudos
dspeight
Contributor
Contributor

Well, like I mentioned before, adding users isn't the problem, aswell as accessing ssh and the enabled shell. Its everything else I mentioned that doesnt work for me. Mostly its editing or deleting the users and using service-control commands.

Were you able to test that aswell?

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Your new user, wherever you made it (AD or SSO or local OS) must have SystemConfiguration.BashShellAdministrators group membership.

Please check the following link:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vcsa.doc/GUID-48B56261-91A8-4D3B-8E...

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos