5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2019 11:24 AM by Amin Masoudifard

drs+ha

nimicyy Lurker

hi,

is there any way to configure drs+ha+storage drs together on a number of esxi hosts?

can some of esxi hosts to see only certain datastores and the other esxi other datastores?

tnx

• 1. Re: drs+ha
          KocPawel Hot Shot

It depends on you which Datastores will you present/add to which ESXi.

DRS, HA policies you can define on cluster level, so it is configurable for group of hosts.

• 2. Re: drs+ha
            nimicyy Lurker

lert`s say i  configured drs+ha.then can i configure storage drs?storage drs is at datastore level?

• 3. Re: drs+ha
              ryanrpatel Enthusiast
              vExpert

sDRS is at the Datastore level. You can keep VMs on separated. You can keep VMDKs of the same VM together. You can do I/O latency thresholds, which you can also setup on a SDRS schedule. This is metric-based that isn't running ALL of the time.

• 5. Re: drs+ha
                Amin Masoudifard Expert

DRS is responsible for optimizing and balancing the usage of CPU / RAM resources in the cluster, But Storage DRS has this duty for datastores (VMFS / NFS) by consideration capacity and I/O metrics. DRS have affinity/anti-affinity rules for VM/Host but Storage DRS have rules for VM/VMDK files. They can work co-exist together, so there is no conflict about DRS & SDRS co-operation into the cluster. Actually, based on SDRS FAQ there is following important requirements of SDRS:

• VMware vSphere enterprise plus license. Also, it's recommended VMware vSphere compute/hosts cluster.
                • Shared datastore volumes accessible by at least one ESXi host inside the cluster. VMware recommends to have full cluster connectivity, however, it is not enforced 
                • Datastore inside the Storage DRS cluster must be visible in only one data center.
                Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem