VMware Cloud Community
nimicyy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

drs+ha

hi,

is there any way to configure drs+ha+storage drs together on a number of esxi hosts?

can some of esxi hosts to see only certain datastores and the other esxi other datastores?

tnx

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

DRS is responsible for optimizing and balancing the usage of CPU / RAM resources in the cluster, But Storage DRS has this duty for datastores (VMFS / NFS) by consideration capacity and I/O metrics. DRS have affinity/anti-affinity rules for VM/Host but Storage DRS have rules for VM/VMDK files. They can work co-exist together, so there is no conflict about DRS & SDRS co-operation into the cluster. Actually, based on SDRS FAQ there is following important requirements of SDRS:

• VMware vSphere enterprise plus license. Also, it's recommended VMware vSphere compute/hosts cluster.
  • Shared datastore volumes accessible by at least one ESXi host inside the cluster. VMware recommends to have full cluster connectivity, however, it is not enforced 
  • Datastore inside the Storage DRS cluster must be visible in only one data center.
Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KocPawel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It depends on you which Datastores will you present/add to which ESXi.

DRS, HA policies you can define on cluster level, so it is configurable for group of hosts.

0 Kudos
nimicyy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

lert`s say i  configured drs+ha.then can i configure storage drs?storage drs is at datastore level?

0 Kudos
ryanrpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

sDRS is at the Datastore level. You can keep VMs on separated. You can keep VMDKs of the same VM together. You can do I/O latency thresholds, which you can also setup on a SDRS schedule. This is metric-based that isn't running ALL of the time.

0 Kudos
KocPawel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

DRS is responsible for optimizing and balancing the usage of CPU / RAM resources in the cluster, But Storage DRS has this duty for datastores (VMFS / NFS) by consideration capacity and I/O metrics. DRS have affinity/anti-affinity rules for VM/Host but Storage DRS have rules for VM/VMDK files. They can work co-exist together, so there is no conflict about DRS & SDRS co-operation into the cluster. Actually, based on SDRS FAQ there is following important requirements of SDRS:

• VMware vSphere enterprise plus license. Also, it's recommended VMware vSphere compute/hosts cluster.
  • Shared datastore volumes accessible by at least one ESXi host inside the cluster. VMware recommends to have full cluster connectivity, however, it is not enforced 
  • Datastore inside the Storage DRS cluster must be visible in only one data center.
Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos