VMware Cloud Community
makman26
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXI 6.5 host randomly rebooting

I have a host that has been running good for about a year. The other day it has started to randomly reboot, sometimes every ten minutes sometimes 24 hours. I believe it is hardware related. What logs should I be looking into?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello makman26​,

Hosts don't just reboot themselves - either it is crashing and/or something/someone is restarting it (e.g. HPE AMS or similar other vendor utility).

First point of call would be to validate if there is a core dump which should be present in /var/core/ (provided you have core dumping configured, there is sufficient space to do so and enough time was given for it to dump before restart).

If there is a dump in /var/core/ then please open a Support Request with my colleagues in GSS.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

in case of hard reboots - i.e. no PSOD - you should check the server/hardware logs, e.g. iLO, iDRAC, or other server management logs.

André

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello makman26​,

Hosts don't just reboot themselves - either it is crashing and/or something/someone is restarting it (e.g. HPE AMS or similar other vendor utility).

First point of call would be to validate if there is a core dump which should be present in /var/core/ (provided you have core dumping configured, there is sufficient space to do so and enough time was given for it to dump before restart).

If there is a dump in /var/core/ then please open a Support Request with my colleagues in GSS.

Bob

0 Kudos
makman26
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found the problem over the weekend. It was the UPS shutting on and off but I did not notice it until the UPS starting sounding an alarm Sunday afternoon.

TheBobkin so you were correct it was something else.

Thank you for the responses.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Thanks for reminding me of the factor of electricity that the servers need more than anything else really, it's been so long since I have seen it on a case (other than obvious outages).

It's hard to PSOD with no power  

Bob

0 Kudos