VMware Horizon Community
ehorsting
Contributor
Contributor

Blank screen on persistent VDI, until suspend/resume

I have a Windows 10 1903 Master image, on Horizon 7.7 with ESXi 6.7.

The master image has the matching VMware tools, matching HW level and matching Horizon View Agent.

When I clone the master to a new (persistent VM) and the user logs in it only shows black screen with the cursor (BLAST). The OS is started up and user is logged in because the cursor changes to for example a hand icon.

Reinstalling tools and agent, in both order does not make a difference. Only thing that seems to trigger is a suspend of the VM and then resume again. Somehow that triggers something to make it work. It also keeps working.

Could this be related to the 1903 build? We also have the 1903 build on the linked-clones pool without any problems.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

What do you mean suspend? Are the vdi images have powersaving enabled, and they are sleeping, or just people logging out and back in again?

0 Kudos
ehorsting
Contributor
Contributor

I open the VM with the VMWare console, click the suspend button and then unsuspend. And tadaa, it works.

0 Kudos
Hotrod76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Which video driver is installed in the master image?  You may want to remove the VMware VSGA driver and use the Windows video driver.  Did you look at the Horizon agent logs? The logs may provide insight into what is going on.

Horizon Agent Logs from Windows Machines

0 Kudos
stgepopp
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

typically black screens are related to (either):

- wrong VGA driver (probably overwritten by a Vmware Tools update)

- Firewall settings

- VM configuration settings

Did you try with  rdp or PCOIP?

Erich

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

What is the VGA settings on your deploy VM/desktop and also what is the setting of graphic acceleration on your desktop pool settings? Give more details about them

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos