1 person found this helpful
While I've seen a few providers run Horizon workloads in the same vCenter instance as vCD, I would not recommend this for the following reasons:
1. You do not want to override any resource pool configuration executed by vCD. vCD is the authoritative state for these configurations and should not be changed at all.
2. Horizon workloads have a different I/O profile compared to traditional IaaS/Multi-Tenant workloads.
3. If you are in the VMware Cloud Provider Program (VCPP), monthly licensing consumption of Horizon workloads operates differently than traditional VM workloads. Horizon is licensed on concurrent connections where traditional VM's are licensed on vRAM consumption.
thanks for your valuable feedback, much appreciated!
One additional question: what would be your recommendated regarding Vcloud resource pool configuration for Horizon View workload?
Could you give me specific/technical details regarding this Vcloud resource pool configuration for Horizon View workload?
thanks in advance!
Hi Joeri -
If this is required, I suggest the following:
- Rather than create your vCD provider VDC at the cluster level, create a child resource pool that would be consumed for that respective pVDC
- Create a secondary child resource pool at the cluster level (same hierarchy as the vCD pVDC RP) and apply your specific CPU/Memory requirements for your Horizon workloads.
- In this configuration, vCD would not see the Horizon RP.
Again, I would recommend a different path.
thanks for the swift reply!
What exactly do you mean with "Again, I would recommend a different path."?
What path is the most recommended in your opinion ? Could you give me more (technical) details regarding your recommended path?
I would not deploy Horizon in the same vCenter as vCloud Director. They should be completely independent environments.
that's clear. When having a completely seperate vcenter for Horizon View workload and when administering the complete Vmware environment (including the Horizon View environment that runs via a seperate vcenter) must be done via vCD, what are your recommendations regarding resource pools for Horizon View workload that runs via this seperate vcenter? (are resource pools required/mandatory when using vCD?).
Also, another question though, do you have experience with Citrix Xenapp/Xendesktop workload that runs within VMware resource pools and that are administered via vCD?