10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2019 6:53 AM by lurims

How to get vRA Compute Cluster Location Tag?

lurims Enthusiast

I am having hard time to find an API to list location tags of all Compute clusters that is seen in vRA Infrstructure--> Compute Clusters.  Tried vRA 7.3 API, https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Automation/7.3/vrealize-automation-73-programming-guide.pdf , could not find, all it has is reservations that list compute cluster but no other details about compute cluster itself.  Any idea where I can find the API to list all compute cluster objects and the properties of each object that has location in it?  For reference here what I am trying to list.

• 1. Re: How to get vRA Compute Cluster Location Tag?
          xian_ Enthusiast

Check vRealize Automation IaaS Proxy Provider Service API - VMware API Explorer - VMware {code} compute-resource and data-center-location

"@type": "ComputeResource",

"id": "5f944d1c-d00b-4157-95c9-9a787853ab8e",

"clusterHostId": null,

"managementEndpoint": null,

"name": "Dev1",

"hostComments": null,

"hostUniqueId": "vc.cloud.local/Datacenter/host/Dev1",

"isCluster": true,

"hostProcessors": 4,

"hostProcessorSpeed": 0,

"hostProcessorType": null,

"recCreationTime": "2019-08-29T14:07:45.000Z",

"recUpdateTime": "2019-11-04T15:00:24.000Z",

"hostStateId": 0,

"hostTotalMemoryMb": 65526,

"hostTotalStorageGb": 11655,

"hostUsedMemoryMb": 0,

"hostUsedStorageGb": 72,

"isVrmManaged": true,

"hostDnsName": "Dev1",

"machineType": 0,

"hostUuid": null,

"allocationType": null,

"isTpmEnabled": false,

"externalReferenceId": "domain-c7",

"datacenterExternalReferenceId": "datacenter-2",

"region": null

},

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to get vRA Compute Cluster Location Tag?
            lurims Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.  Seems that is pointing to vRA 7.6.  See that is available in 7.5 too.  Is it missing in 7.3?  Or is it possible with a different API call?

• 3. Re: How to get vRA Compute Cluster Location Tag?
              xian_ Enthusiast

Sorry, I did not notice this was introduced in 7.4

Then you can try the VCAC (IaaS) plugin from vRO:

cluster = Server.findAllForType("vCAC:HostMachine", "HostName eq 'MyCluster'")[0];
              clusterEntity = cluster.getEntity();
              dc = clusterEntity.getProperty("DatacenterExternalReferenceId");

I hope this is what you're looking for.

BTW, all clusters:

clusters = Server.findAllForType("vCAC:HostMachine", "startswith(ExternalReferenceId, 'domain')");

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to get vRA Compute Cluster Location Tag?
                lurims Enthusiast

Thanks Xian for more info.  I tried to get the location but it is printing null.  I made sure the location as seen in vRA comupte cluster is showing a value.  Am I look into at the right property?  Name is showing correctly though.

cluster.displayName + ',' + cluster.physicalLocationId

Seems the above peroerty physicalLocationId is NOT the following value I am looking that is masked.

• 5. Re: How to get vRA Compute Cluster Location Tag?
                  xian_ Enthusiast

Just try the code above, with getting the Entity first, then the property of the entity.

• 6. Re: How to get vRA Compute Cluster Location Tag?
                    lurims Enthusiast

Yes, I was able to get the entity, able to print the property but that is showing null as it is null.

entitySet = EdmEntitySet[Hosts, org.odata4j.edm.EdmEntityType$Builder$1 @ 456bf1b6],

entityType = EdmEntityType[DynamicOps.ManagementModel.Host, alias = null],

entityKey = (guid 'XXXXXXX-4d48-4ef1-a6cb-XXXXXX'),

properties = [OProperty[HostID, EdmSimpleType[Edm.Guid], XXXXXXX - 4d48 - 4ef1 - a6cb - XXXX],

OProperty[PhysicalLocationID, EdmSimpleType[Edm.Guid], null],

OProperty[HostName, EdmSimpleType[Edm.String], XXXXXXXXXXX],

OProperty[HostComments, EdmSimpleType[Edm.String], null],

But it is not the property value I am looking for.  I am looking for the following masked value to be printed.

• 7. Re: How to get vRA Compute Cluster Location Tag?
                      xian_ Enthusiast

Not sure, I have vra 7.5, and get the following:

vco :004> cluster = Server.findAllForType("vCAC:HostMachine", "HostName eq 'MyCluster'")[0];

=> DynamicWrapper (Instance) : [vCACHostMachine]-[class com.vmware.o11n.plugin.dynamicops.model.HostMachine] -- VALUE : MyCluster

vco :005> clusterEntity = cluster.getEntity();

=> DynamicWrapper (Instance) : [VCACEntity]-[class com.vmware.o11n.plugin.dynamicops.model.Entity] -- VALUE : org.odata4j.core.OEntities$OEntityAtomImpl@5369d97f[title=,categoryTerm=DynamicOps.ManagementModel.Host,entitySet=EdmEntitySet[Hosts,org.odata4j.edm.EdmEntityType$Builder$1@6ae141a],entityType=EdmEntityType[DynamicOps.ManagementModel.Host,alias=null],entityKey=(guid'5f944d1c-d00b-4157-95c9-9a787853ab8e'),properties=[OProperty[HostID,EdmSimpleType[Edm.Guid],5f944d1c-d00b-4157-95c9-9a787853ab8e],...

vco :006> dc = clusterEntity.getProperty("DatacenterExternalReferenceId");

=> datacenter-2

• 8. Re: How to get vRA Compute Cluster Location Tag?
                        lurims Enthusiast

I am also running in vRA 7.5 as well and I too get datacener - <number>.  But that is not matching the location value I have in the highlighted field in the question.  We have a location value(ex: city name) and that is what I want to print that this computer cluster is tagged to.

• 9. Re: How to get vRA Compute Cluster Location Tag?
                          xian_ Enthusiast

OK had to dig a little deeper:

iaasHost = Server.findAllForType("VCAC:VCACHost")[0];

propEntities = clusterEntity.getLink(iaasHost, "HostProperties");

propEntities.forEach(function (e) { System.log(e.getProperty("PropertyName") + ": " + e.getProperty("PropertyValue")) })

[INFO] Vrm.DataCenter.Location: dc1

• 10. Re: How to get vRA Compute Cluster Location Tag?
                            lurims Enthusiast

Thanks a lot, that worked.  If anyone is trying the same thing, here is the complete script.

//No input parameters required

var clusters = Server.findAllForType("vCAC:HostMachine", "startswith(ExternalReferenceId, 'domain')");

for each(var cluster in clusters){

clusterEntity = cluster.getEntity();

var location = clusterEntity.getProperty("DatacenterExternalReferenceId");

var iaasHosts = Server.findAllForType("VCAC:VCACHost");

for each(var iaasHost in iaasHosts){

propEntities = clusterEntity.getLink(iaasHost, "HostProperties");

propEntities.forEach(function (e) { System.log(cluster.displayName + ',' + e.getProperty("PropertyName") + ": " +

e.getProperty("PropertyValue")) })

}

}