VMware Cloud Community
sc2317
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Firmware/Drivers for VSAN Host's Disk Controllers & Drives

Hi,

I am looking for some information on firmware/driver upgrade of Disk Controllers & Drives on ESXi hosts in VSAN. We have been suggested by Vendor to upgrade the firmware of the Controller(That is used for data disks in VSAN) and controller (That is used for cache disk).

However, I would like to know if upgrading the firmware/driver of controller automatically upgrades the firmware/drivers of disks attached to it ? or Do we have to run the upgrade separately for disks drives ? I cannot find any information related to upgrade of disks version, so bit confused now.

Please suggest.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You're going to have to contact either your server vendor or the disk manufacturer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, upgrading the firmware of a storage controller does not also upgrade the firmware of the attached disks. That would be a separate process.

0 Kudos
sc2317
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks.

Kindly suggest me on how to get the firmware/driver versions of the disks on the esxi hosts ?

I have got the firmware/driver version of controllers, but could not get information on how to get the same for the disks.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You're going to have to contact either your server vendor or the disk manufacturer.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello sc2317​,

The Firmware in use for each device should be identifiable from the 'Revision' entry from this information (provided the disks are passthrough):

# esxcli storage core device list

Alternatively (whether they are passthrough or RAIDed) you should be able to see this information in the out of band management console (e.g. iLO, iDRAC) of the hosts.

Bob

0 Kudos