VMware Communities
sohailliqball
Contributor
Contributor

How to use same license of magma (a software) on Windows 10 and on VMware (ubuntu on VMware) on the same PC

Deal All,

Hope you are fine.

This query is regarding "installing magma on Ubuntu (in VMware)". The software "magma" is a licensed software (more details on http://magma.maths.usyd.edu.au/magma/download/ ).

I have a license for magma on Windows 10. Now I want to use the same license on Ubuntu (in VMware). The license of magma is just a "magmapassfile" on Windows 10. On Ubuntu (windows 10) the license name is again "magmapassfile" . The problem is that magma is not accepting this license on Ubuntu and saying the physical address is not the same.

Kindly suggest me a way to use license of magma on the Ubuntu (in VMware).

Thanks,

Sohail

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

From Magmas point of view  there is no problem.

You tried to run 2 copies of their software while you paid for one only.

This means their piracy prevention method works as expected.

0 Kudos
sohailliqball
Contributor
Contributor

I contacted the magma people and they said this is allowed as long as you are working on the same pc since the license is for one PC. But they also said there is a way but I should contact those who can actually do it. Kindly tell me if you have a solution.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Ok - then we need to know which parameter is used to identify a host.

0 Kudos