VMware Edu & Cert Community
g0dMAn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCAP DCV Design - Need Advice

I currently hold a double VCP6 (data center and network).  It's almost 2 years since my last exam.

I'm looking to get the VCAP DCV Design by end of 2019 (job offering a worthwhile incentive).  I'm leaning towards the VCAP6-DCV Design since I only need to take one exam.

Is it silly of me to not be going for VCAP 2019?  I'm not looking to spread myself thin given the end of year deadline I'm trying to meet.

My ultimate goal is to eventually become VCIX, but short-term is rather important of becoming VCAP by end of this year.

Lastly, hoping to find guidance on which class and study material to look for.  I've just begun my research, but I know there's a wealth of advice here too.  I have the green light for one class that my job will be paying for.

Thanks for any advice!

2 Replies
aleex42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are a couple of unofficial study guides for VCAP-DCV - mostly for old versions (5.5 or 6.0), but they are still great for preparation.

VCAP6.5-DCV Design Prep-Guide - vBuffer

https://vbrownbag.com/category/vmware/vmwarevcap/

Unofficial VCAP6-DCV Design Study Guide - vCallaway

They helped me to pass the exam in this summer 🙂

-- Alex (VMware VCAP-DCV, NetApp NCIE, LPIC 2)
azlans27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Books I read to prepare myself for VCAP - Design DCV :

1. VMware vSphere 6.x Datacenter Design Cookbook by Hersey Cartwright

2. VMware vSphere 6.5 Cookbook by Abhilash G B and Cedric Rajendran

3. VMware vSphere 6.5 Host Resources Deep Dive by Frank Denneman and Niels Hagoort

I read book number one a lot, more detail, cover to cover. The rest is also very good resource.

Beside, I also read blogs from VMware enthusiast sharing their experience about this exam. You can find easily this on the internet.

What I have to master for this certification? You must be able to identify Risks, Assumptions, Constraints, and Requirement. Also to differ between non-functional and functional requirements. Must know well Availability, Performance, Management, Recoverability, and Security (APMRS) components. What’s else? Upgrade process from 5.5 to 6.5 version, Content library, vCenter Linked Mode, VMware encryption, RPO, RTO, SRM, vSphere Replication. What’s else? Please refer to the official Exam Preparation Guide.

And if you have some budget for training, take 'VMware vSphere: Workshop Design' course.

I hope this info can help your preparation. Good luck.