VMware Cloud Community
kopprasch
Contributor
Contributor

Need a tutorial to fix my problem with workstation 15/vmtools/directdraw (doesn't work!)

Greetings all!

I'm new to virtualization and to workstation player 15.  I've successfully installed the freeware player onto my win 10 host system,  created a virtual machine, installed xp, and installed whatever version of vmware tools that was bundled with the player. So far so good. 

Now come the problems:  1) Although XP games install, there are DirectX problems:  specifically, the software is not finding directdraw;  2) VMware tools for windows did install (after the XP install finished) but there is no tab within the guest OS or on the host menu for workstation player 15  that allows me to check versions or to upgrade (the vmware tools tab within the guest OS remains greyed, despite various fixes I've found on the web).

Despite researching and reading for hours and hours I cannot find answers to the following questions:

1.  How do I find out what version of vm tools I have?

2.  If too old, how do I upgrade?

3.  Why is the install tools tab greyed out when I click on "Manage" within my guest XP dropdown menu?

4.  Most importantly, could someone explain in simple language what I must do to enable workst player 15 running xp as a guest OS in order to provide DirectX with what it needs for directdraw to work?

5.  This link  WS15 disables 3D acceleration would suggest that the version of Workstation itself might be at fault.  If needed, I can report that the graphics card on my Acer Aspire 7 is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050.  For this DirectX-related 3d accel problem, is it necessary to install Workstation 14 or earlier??

Please do not refer me to various VMware docs that appear relevant (e.g., "installing vmware tools," "upgrading tools," "upgrading tools manually," the various vmware tools release pages, etc.)  Once again, I know that some version of tools was installed.  The specific problem is with DirectX, directdraw, and 3d acceleration.

Many thanks for reading this and pondering my questions.  I will indeed appreciate any assistance!!

kopprasch

0 Kudos
0 Replies